Is this too much for an 02 Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ncHoe

Reaction score
I looked at an 02 Z71 today that was in better than good condition. Rig has 223k on original engine and tranny. It’s a three owner and current owner has owned it since 2006. Has been meticulously maintained. All services performed and documented. No leaks. Interior looks like new. Outside has a few scratches and blemishes but no rust, dents or dings. Asking price is 6200. Road test was exactly what you’d expect from a maintained vehicle. No whine or noise from rear diff, no clunking putting in gear or shifts when driving. Everything inside works as it should. 5500 is where we are now. Looking at average price on KBB, Edmunds and Carfax, that is way too much. I’d actually feel better the closer to 5k I got. Is that still too much? I’ve looked at several 04-06’s that are around the same price and mileage but have issues. Is this totally out of the park to consider?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The skid plate can hide leaks. It may be leak free, but leaks are very common as they age. Have you done a VIN claims search? If you have access to a coolant pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system when the engine is cold, then look to see how much it drops in 1/2 hour. If it drops at all, there is a coolant leak somewhere. (If you test it while the engine is even slightly warm it will drop as it cools.

For 223k and 3 owners, my gut says too good to be true for condition. I would love to be proven wrong though.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
Thanks Larry. That’s what I’m thinking. Wish I could post some pics but I didn’t take any. The current owner just bought a 2018 z71 suburban. He said his dad is a mechanic so anything the 02 needed it got. Mostly maintenance. I’m sure there is something it will need at some point, but it won’t be my daily driver anyway.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the story "I know a really good mechanic who has done all the work on my car" so many times I don't listen to that talk anymore. On one such car, the core of the thermostat was cut out and as a result it never got up to operating temperature in the winter. On another car, cheap window regulators were used that would only last a couple of years. Maybe his Dad is a good mechanic. Can you see the work that was done? Were quality parts used?

it is common for the rear main seal to leak. If you can get a mirror underneath and look at the top of the skid plate to find evident of caked oil, or oil leaking from above anywhere.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at an 02 Z71 today that was in better than good condition. Rig has 223k on original engine and tranny. It’s a three owner and current owner has owned it since 2006. Has been meticulously maintained. All services performed and documented. No leaks. Interior looks like new. Outside has a few scratches and blemishes but no rust, dents or dings. Asking price is 6200. Road test was exactly what you’d expect from a maintained vehicle. No whine or noise from rear diff, no clunking putting in gear or shifts when driving. Everything inside works as it should. 5500 is where we are now. Looking at average price on KBB, Edmunds and Carfax, that is way too much. I’d actually feel better the closer to 5k I got. Is that still too much? I’ve looked at several 04-06’s that are around the same price and mileage but have issues. Is this totally out of the park to consider?

$500 is not worth worrying over for a good truck, it's practically a 1-owner vehicle. You'll spend 5X as much trying to get the others up to the same level.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, it also depends on where you are located. I am in Oregon and full time Oregon rigs just don't have rust on them and my 02 doesn't either. They can be higher here because of that.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
IMO, it also depends on where you are located. I am in Oregon and full time Oregon rigs just don't have rust on them and my 02 doesn't either. They can be higher here because of that.

I’m in central North Carolina. Rigs here don’t typically rust unless they spend time in the mountains or near the coast.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree that if it is truly in good shape, don't let it pass for the sake of 500 bucks. But I would look it over very carefully. Do the VIN search, look for signs of repainting, get a scan tool and look for stored and pending codes, stuff like that.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
I'd agree that if it is truly in good shape, don't let it pass for the sake of 500 bucks. But I would look it over very carefully. Do the VIN search, look for signs of repainting, get a scan tool and look for stored and pending codes, stuff like that.

Definitely. VIN search done. Will
check for codes. Rear main isn’t leaking, but hasn’t been replaced in 14 years which I found hard to believe. Shocks haven’t been replaced either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt