Is this the beginning of the end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAHOE FREAK

TAHOE FREAK
Reaction score
were notified they would be dropped by the struggling automaker, including several in Maryland, about 1,100 General Motors Corp. dealers were expected to get the same bad news as early as Friday.

GM has about 130 dealerships in Maryland, 40 in Greater Baltimore. Its car lines include Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Saab, Saturn and Hummer. It has some 6,000 dealerships nationwide.

Peter Kitzmiller, president of the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association, said Friday morning he had spoken with five GM dealers in Maryland, and none of them had been told the dealership was part of the closures. Each GM dealership in Maryland employs about 60 people.

The affected GM dealers were expected to be notified by letter or phone call starting Friday that their franchise agreements won't be renewed when they expire in 2010.

In the case of Chrysler LLC, which is under Chapter 11 protection, the list of dealers it plans to drop was made public when it was filed Thursday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

But GM, which has not yet filed under Chapter 11, says it has no plans to publish its dropped-dealer list, so it may not be immediately clear which dealers are affected.

"Unlike the way Chrysler handled it Thursday, this is a private matter between General Motors and its individual dealers," said Duane Paddock, a Buffalo, N.Y., Chevrolet dealer who is co-chair of GM’s National Dealer Council.

"The way Chrysler did it was inhumane, in my opinion," Paddock said. "Basically what Chrysler did was not very respectful of partnerships that they had had anywhere from six months to 40 years. GM is handling it empathetically, honestly and in private. It is up to the dealer to announce it if he wants to."

GM says it eventually plans to drop 2,600 or more dealerships — 40 percent of its total.

Besides the 1,100 underperformers that GM will cut, another 500 dealerships will depart when GM sells or shuts down the Hummer, Saab and Saturn brands. General Motors also has 35 stand-alone Pontiac dealerships that will go away when it phases out Pontiac by year-end 2010.

GM expects to lose about 500 more dealerships through natural attrition this year. The company has said that through April 275 dealerships will have closed as a combination of voluntarily termination and consolidations.

Five hundred to 600 other dealerships will be closed through consolidations and buy-sell negotiations.

Kitzmiller said the consolidation of dealerships would happen anyway, because of the ongoing recession's impact on automobile sales. He said the automaker will not "reduce expenses $1" by shedding dealerships.

"Our opinion hasn't change; this doens’t do anything to help make GM viable," Kitzmiller said. "In fact it does the opposite."

Kitzmiller also said the consolidation could make auto repairs more difficult for consumers who may be forced to travel farther to find a repair shop.

Like Chrysler, GM says it's suffering from an overcrowded dealer network that underperforms in terms of per-store sales in relation to Toyota and other Japanese automakers.

GM's CEO Fritz Henderson, in a conference call with reporters this week, said the process of shutting dealerships will continue for several months he but gave few details.

“We will try to work with them to affect an orderly wind down of their inventory,” he said, saying it is working out details of reimbursing dealers for warranties.

Henderson reiterated the company’s intention to sell its Saturn brand if a deal can be worked out. A number of parties have emerged, he said. The company also is negotiating with two potential buyers for the Hummer brand, he said, and still plans to wind down the Pontiac nameplate. GM's Saab brand also reportedly is destined for sale or shutdown.

About a possible GM bankruptcy, Henderson repeated, as he said several weeks ago, that a Chapter 11 filing is probable given the task and time frame under which it needs to show it can become viable.

“It is more probable today, but there is still the opportunity and challenge of getting it done outside bankruptcy,” he said.

Mark Harden is a reporter for the Denver Business Journal, a sister publication. Ryan Sharrow, a reporter for the Baltimore Business Journal, and Cathy Proctor of Business First of Buffalo, N.Y., contributed reporting.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I wonder are we driving dinosaurs? I love my Tahoe, but economically things are looking so bad that GM might be over. I hate import cars. I couldn't see a world with no more Corvettes or Tahoes, you know this country has gone to hell if GM completely goes away.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Are we driving Dinosaurs? Yes we are. IMHO big large SUV's are a thing of the past. Soon V8s will too be a thing of the past.

GM is not going anywhere. It might go into BK, but I guarantee you that in a few years cars and trucks will not look like anything they do now. Cars will be smaller and more European like in size, shape, and method of power.

3blackchevys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are we driving dinosaurs? Yes we are. Imho big large suv's are a thing of the past. Soon v8s will too be a thing of the past.

Gm is not going anywhere. It might go into bk, but i guarantee you that in a few years cars and trucks will not look like anything they do now. Cars will be smaller and more european like in size, shape, and method of power.

yup

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we driving Dinosaurs? Yes we are. IMHO big large SUV's are a thing of the past. Soon V8s will too be a thing of the past.

GM is not going anywhere. It might go into BK, but I guarantee you that in a few years cars and trucks will not look like anything they do now. Cars will be smaller and more European like in size, shape, and method of power.

I hate that idea. :nono:

Don't you think they could invent/develop a way to use vegetable oil for all cars/trucks or some other alternative fuel that still can have the same power as gas? Come on, there has to be a way..

nc6600

ps trucks in drive
Reaction score
GM is not going anywhere, it would be to big of a blow to this country. I agree i dont see how shedding does anything to help in fact it looks to me like they would sell less cars with less dealers.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I don’t think GM is going to stop making there best selling vehicle anytime soon. Once they drop the full size chassis is the day I drop GM products.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are probably tryin to have th emarket go to big areas to buy their vehicles i think it would cost more to maintain several dealers in a area sum of which dont sell like others they close the surrounding ones and ppl move to the bigger ones almost promising a sell from the travel distance but once again a double sided sword sumtin needs to be done bad.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I just waitin to get my Dmax and run it off Bio fuel. Hell yeah 650ft/lbs of torque and it runs off mexican food haha!!

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
I hate that idea. :nono:

Don't you think they could invent/develop a way to use vegetable oil for all cars/trucks or some other alternative fuel that still can have the same power as gas? Come on, there has to be a way..

Shaggy, I unlike many people believe that Ethanol, though not in the way we currently produce it, is the way to go. That is if we keep the internal combustion engine.

If we dont, then plug in electric vehicles are the way to go.

Get past all the tree hugger and oil company ******** about it taking this amount of coal to charge this vehicle. Or it takes this much to produce this much ethanol.

The point is that they are Alternative energies. There is/are longer lasting batteries out there, somewhere.

There is a better alternative for ethanol other than corn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907