is this a good deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
eh... I don't like the whole kicker scene of things
I think you can get way more for your money but I have learned that bump is bump

it won't be a true 1k watts though I'll tell you that expect to get about 300-400watts out of that amp

OP
OP
WhoDatPanic

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so would you get it i dont want some huge ass system i still need room in the back and i would of course paint the box hopoefully i could color match it like i did my grille... but is there a way to tell if its broken or blown ? its not hooked up he said

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
if you don't want to go big I'd say its a decent price if you get the sub, amp, and box and none are blown

take a DMM with you if you decide to go look at it, set it to OHM's and test the coil(s) on the sub
they should be right around what is slapped on the magnet

if its close to 0 or like 923413612 ohm then its blown

also push on the cone and if you hear any scratching or its really stiff and goes in but doesn't come up then its blown

OP
OP
WhoDatPanic

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol first what is a dmm ? and how would i do that if its in the box ? yea i used to have a l7 in my car and it hit freaking hard thats about is loud is i would ever want.. would this take up a lot of room in my back ?

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
a digital multimeter
DMM-1L1.jpg

well if you are serious about it unscrew it and take it out of the box, if nothing is wrong with it then the seller has nothing to hide

if that box doesn't sound good then you can always get a design for another one and build it yourself, that way you control the dimensions and how much room it takes up

OP
OP
WhoDatPanic

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much are those testers ddm things is that the only way to pretty much tell if its blown or not i mean if i pushed the cone could i tell

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
thats the for sure way to tell they are like $20 from kragen
its a good tool to have, measures voltage so you can check car batteries to see if they are dead that type of thing

but yeah if you push on the cone I'm sure you will be able to tell

there are some noises that you aren't supposed to hear and they are pretty obvious lol

OP
OP
WhoDatPanic

WhoDatPanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a voltage thing that looks like that is that the same thing ? how do i test the sub ?? what would i hear if it was blown

low_psi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An L7 needs a lot of power. Especially if it is in a sealed enclosure. I would look to buy a refurbed L5 12" off of ebay and get a decent AMP. I have been running my refurb L7 w/dual voice coils wired in parallel at a 2 ohm load in my boat powered by a Kenwood 1800 watt class D mono AMP for 2+ years. An L5 will be much more efficent with lower powered amps. You can get a refurb L5 for around $130 shipped on eBay.

Also if the box the L7 is in a prefabbed ported enclosure, chance are it isn't ported correcty for the sub. Ported boxs need to be designed and constructed for the sub and the type of music you plan to listen to, along with the frequency you plan to cross over at. Sealed enclosures are MUCH more forgiving.

Sorry for making this complicated.........

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Oh yes, one more thing. If the sub is in a truly sealed enclosure, you won't be able to move the cone much if any at all by pushing on it. So don't use that as your only method of test if it is blown......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n