Is it possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, man. I'm sorry to hear that.
Do you know how these front drive shafts come out? I was expecting it to slide out. But instead it looks like there's 2 ujoints attached to a yoke with 4 Allen head bolts. Do the Allen heads come out or it should slide out. There was not boot on it so it's either seized or this setup is slightly different.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not, I am sorry. But this is a sufficiently common problem you can likely find a YouTube video on it. I'm mobile at the moment, but if you can't find one, please report back and I'll see if I have any better luck. That said, and I may be wrong, but do you have to pull the shafts to replace the transfer case? I always thought not.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not, I am sorry. But this is a sufficiently common problem you can likely find a YouTube video on it. I'm mobile at the moment, but if you can't find one, please report back and I'll see if I have any better luck. That said, and I may be wrong, but do you have to pull the shafts to replace the transfer case? I always thought not.
Can't find 1500hd or 2500 non HD videos anywhere. The shaft has to come out. Or else the guy sold me the wrong transfer case

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand connected. This video is for a 2500HD, but is very likely the same process for the 2500 (non-HD)/1500HD.

How to Remove a Transfer Case on a Duramax

The main difference with the 2500HD is that it has a thicker frame across the entire frame. The 2500 and 1500HD have thicker rear frames which taper down to the same thickness as a 1500 front end. The running gear is usually the same. If you check the tag on the transfer case, I bet they're the same model, though I don't know for sure. Still mobile, or I'd get you the tag off my 2500LD Silverado.

Oh! Before I forget -- you are correct, front axles have to come off, at least per that video. I figured you could use some encouragement at this point.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand connected. This video is for a 2500HD, but is very likely the same process for the 2500 (non-HD)/1500HD.

How to Remove a Transfer Case on a Duramax

The main difference with the 2500HD is that it has a thicker frame across the entire frame. The 2500 and 1500HD have thicker rear frames which taper down to the same thickness as a 1500 front end. The running gear is usually the same. If you check the tag on the transfer case, I bet they're the same model, though I don't know for sure. Still mobile, or I'd get you the tag off my 2500LD Silverado.

Oh! Before I forget -- you are correct, front axles have to come off, at least per that video. I figured you could use some encouragement at this point.
The previous owner serviced it but never put the rubber boot on. The driveshaft was completely seized inside the transfer case. Took a while with a hammer and pb blaster to get it out

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Is everything reusable? We're you able to complete the repair at minimal cost?
Ran into a physical and mental block after battling the front drive shaft. Used my long pry bar to hammer it out a little after soaking in PB blaster. I got so pissed at it I went and grabbed my long handle off the floor jack and the sledge hammer. That got her out real quick. It was a pain in the ass.

Just got the replacement diff put up there. Taking a quick break cause it's cold. 3 more of the nuts to tighten up the transfer case. Going to grease the splines real good, replacement transfer case came with a boot.

Anyways attached is the reason why I asked if there was something goofy about the 1500hd or 2500 non HD trucks. The videos showed a single u joint attached at the yoke. Mine is a double ujoint situation and did not look like the videos. I wonder if it's custom for the lift? Anyways, that flange is where I hit it with pry bar/Jack handle and sledge. That flange being there to smack on is the only reason I believe I'll be able to reuse everything.

Attachments

• IMG_20220325_140243.jpg
    IMG_20220325_140243.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpellegrino