Inverter ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much power you're expecting to pull through the inverter. I put in a 1500W peak inverter and by my calculations I decided 6 AWG would be sufficient. A 1500W peak inverter is only going to sustain about 750W, at 12V that's about 60 amps, and since it is converting to AC the average will be lower. Also, you really only need to run B+ to the inverter, you can run ground to the frame or body. The factory has several ground points scattered throughout the vehicle.

For mine, I put in a factory-type dual battery setup and tapped the inverter off the auxiliary battery through a 60 amp fuse. This way the inverter can't run down the main battery because the factory setup has an isolation relay that disconnects the auxiliary from the main if the engine is not running.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Depends on how much power you're expecting to pull through the inverter. I put in a 1500W peak inverter and by my calculations I decided 6 AWG would be sufficient. A 1500W peak inverter is only going to sustain about 750W, at 12V that's about 60 amps, and since it is converting to AC the average will be lower. Also, you really only need to run B+ to the inverter, you can run ground to the frame or body. The factory has several ground points scattered throughout the vehicle.

For mine, I put in a factory-type dual battery setup and tapped the inverter off the auxiliary battery through a 60 amp fuse. This way the inverter can't run down the main battery because the factory setup has an isolation relay that disconnects the auxiliary from the main if the engine is not running.

@DougAMiller
What size fuse do you think I need to run a 750w inverter?

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller
What size fuse do you think I need to run a 750w inverter?
It depends. Most inverters, especially the cheaper ones, advertise their peak rating. Continuous is about half that. So unless it says it is 750W continuous, you will only get about 375W max of normal use. A 30 amp fuse should handle that. The instructions should have a specs section where it should list both peak and continuous ratings. If it is truly 750W continuous, then you will need a 60 amp fuse to get its full capability.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It depends. Most inverters, especially the cheaper ones, advertise their peak rating. Continuous is about half that. So unless it says it is 750W continuous, you will only get about 375W max of normal use. A 30 amp fuse should handle that. The instructions should have a specs section where it should list both peak and continuous ratings. If it is truly 750W continuous, then you will need a 60 amp fuse to get its full capability.

This is the one I have.

Screenshot_20200922-013222_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200922-013215_eBay.jpg

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It claims 750W max continuous power. So if you are going to connect things to it that will pull that much power, you will need a 60 amp fuse, otherwise you'll be blowing fuses when everything else should able to handle it. If you are just occasionally connecting a laptop or similar things that are much lower power, then you wouldn't have any problems with a smaller fuse.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It claims 750W max continuous power. So if you are going to connect things to it that will pull that much power, you will need a 60 amp fuse, otherwise you'll be blowing fuses when everything else should able to handle it. If you are just occasionally connecting a laptop or similar things that are much lower power, then you wouldn't have any problems with a smaller fuse.

I'm going to install the 60am fuse then. Thx

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
@DougAMiller
Does the inverter drain the battery? I don't have anything hooked up to it and the battery is going dead after a couple of days. The only reason I noticed this is because I stopped driving it as often. The only thing I can think off that maybe draining it is the inverter. I disconnected it and in the process of charging the battery,

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller
Does the inverter drain the battery? I don't have anything hooked up to it and the battery is going dead after a couple of days. The only reason I noticed this is because I stopped driving it as often. The only thing I can think off that maybe draining it is the inverter. I disconnected it and in the process of charging the battery,

Doesn't that inverter have a on/off switch?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller
It may have enough parasitic draw to do that over time. Turn it off or disconnect it when you’re not using it.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Doesn't that inverter have a on/off switch?

Yes it does, it's on the off position.

It may have enough parasitic draw to do that over time. Turn it off or disconnect it when you’re not using it.

I always keep it in the off position. I'm going to keep it unplugged for a couple of days and see if that is the culpit to the parasitic draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr