Internet connectivity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrell

Reaction score
This is my first experience with an internet-connected vehicle. Is the connection supposed to be this slow? It seems like I have to be driving for about 3-5 minutes until the truck has enough signal to process any voice commands like "navigate to _place_", etc. It doesn't matter where I'm starting from...home/away. Until that point, there is a long delay between pressing the voice button on the steering wheel and the chime to say a command, and then another long delay until it tries to process the command, which eventually times out or an error response is given. It's a very frustrating experience. I have my Galaxy phone connected to the head unit by Bluetooth for Android Auto so I can't simply use my phone to get the navigation going like I used to in my "dumb" vehicle previously.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Hard to believe but maybe the internet connectivity is just poor in my area (Austin, TX)? Not sure what network is in use..

How do I check if something needs update? My understanding is updates are OTA but maybe a dealer needs to get involved?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4GLTE provided by ATT. It takes my system about 2-3 min to "warm up" in the morning, even in the garage, when connected to my (400Mb/s) home wifi...

Not sure what it is doing in that time, but I agree, is kind of slow...don't think you are doing anything wrong. A couple things to check...are you personally logged in to Google and have vehicle profile set to use that account, our are you using the default account? If not, that may be an issue.

As for checking for updates, go to settings, updates, and do a check...you may need one, who knows.

There is a published update with notification date of about April 22, I believe, mine going to dealer next week to get it.

OP
OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

4G ... maybe that's the issue for being so slow? I remember when 3G was "fast" but there's just so much more data being pushed across the net now.

I'm fully signed into Google in the vehicle and on my phone. Not using default account on vehicle. Just checked for updates and confirmed it is all up-to-date. (Purchased and taken from dealer on 30 April).

mikelakos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi ,

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali. main issue I have is connectivity. Offline maps on google maps wont load( so the speed limit on the dash wont show as well) . it keeps saying that i need a data plan. That i have with OnStar and even connecting my mobile data. Even at home when i connect it to the home wifi same issue.
Any solution on that. >??? I have called Onstar , i have taken it to the dealer...but nothing

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's at&T which is already slow to begin with and I would speculate that it can really depend on your location and terrain as well.
I would not depend on it to work at all other than in fairly populated area's.
if you are traveling anywhere more than just out of town, I would just get a regular GPS
just my opinion, depending on cellular service alone is not the best option.
let's put the new technology "5G" into perspective for instance, you will need to be within 1500 feet of a antenna.
The shorter wavelength means 5G can carry a lot of data much faster than 4G, but it also means a much shorter range. 4G wavelengths have a range of about 10 miles. 5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet, not even 2% of 4G's range

Hollyhill79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi ,

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali. main issue I have is connectivity. Offline maps on google maps wont load( so the speed limit on the dash wont show as well) . it keeps saying that i need a data plan. That i have with OnStar and even connecting my mobile data. Even at home when i connect it to the home wifi same issue.
Any solution on that. >??? I have called Onstar , i have taken it to the dealer...but nothing
I had the same issue on my 2022 Denali Yukon after just 4 weeks of owning it. No onstar connection, no wifi, which means no location. It shows my last location on google maps (without carplay) of where I'm assuming the connection stopped. I took it to the dealership and they stated it is the onstar module which is currently not in the United States and they had no idea when it would be. Sooo, I have a brand new $100,000.00 vehicle and a "FREE ONSTAR WIFI PLAN" that I can't even use.

I'm sure this is a pretty petty inconvenience for me, compared to those that are having complete mechanical issues with their new vehicles, GMC or not, and have been in to the dealerships for repair and have sat for months because of no parts.

Other than that, I love my new 2022 Yukon Denali.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vehicle has recently lost its ability to "find itself" with its GPS location, even while being connected. OnStar says it is a hardware issue and will need to go into the dealer. I'll be there when they open today and see what they say...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts