intermittent fuel pump question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noffboy69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 98 yukon slt that the other day the fuel pump intermittently works. I changed out the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay. Is there anything else that I can check that may be the cause of this happening before I spend the time and $$ on the fuel pump and dropping the tank. For the record, when it does work and the truck runs....it runs well with no issues...sluggishness, loss of power....

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me. Intermittent fuel pump problems. It ended up being the connector to the fuel pump. I changed it out and fuel pump has worked perfect ever since.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be the harness connector at the fuel pump which is often the case. You can inspect and attempt to service the connector by making sure it is not inundated with moisture and then put some dielectric grease in the connector to ensure that it is working properly. If that doesn't work, it can be the pump, but when they go out it is usually for good and not an intermittent problem.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there is a ground for it to the left frame well. but the original connector design also had issues. a bunch of improvements have been made to the fuel pump and the connector type was one of them.

OP
OP
noffboy69

noffboy69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!! Guess though if I'm going to have to drop the tank to check connectors, I'll go ahead and install new delphi fuel pump while I'm there, no need in doing things twice!! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076