1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Delayed crank- loss of power

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by akbrener, Jun 30, 2020.

1. akbrener

akbrener Full Access Member

Name:
    Andrew
    2008 Tahoe 5.3- Randomly the truck will hesitate to start, turn key and i get a click an no crank or a 1-2 second delay and it will crank over. If it does not crank I will reset key and try again, and usually starts on second try. Biggest indicator that something is up is that the clock will reset to 12:00, like it cuts power to the car.

I thought it was the starter at first, had replaced it 2 years ago and warranty swapped it at Advance auto. still did it again intermittently a few days later. Replaced all positive wires from battery through mega fuse to fuse block as well as the wire from battery to starter. cleaned ALL grounds, and checked battery. All good.

Am I looking at a faulty ingition switch? seems that if i do not pause for a few seconds in the "ON" position it will do the weird delay. There does not seem to be any trend to this issue, have had this happen first thing in the morning on my way to work, at the gas station after being parked for 5 mins, or after a 6 hour work day.

All I hear is a faint click inside the truck when it hesitates, before I replaced the starter I would get an audible POP from under the engine like something overloaded. the starter was bad. hence the warranty replacement.

Again, thinking ignition switch (not the key clyinder, but the electronic box attached). one time i did get a hard reset of the HVAC system before i replaced all the positive wires. maybe missing something else?? Thanks!!

2. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
  3. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Supporting Member

Name:
    Joseph
    As PNW VietVet, suggested, please confirm that your battery is indeed good, which means a performing a test to confirm actual available cranking amps, and not just 12 volts.

If the battery is good, along with all of the connecting wires, including engine block and chassis grounds, then the ignition switch electrical box and the associated relay would be the next items to consider replacing, as PNW VietVet suggested.

The ignition switch itself can fail in the start position, as I had that issue on my 1997 Yukon (RIP), but I would check out the above suggestions first.

Other folks will chime in with additional suggestions.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  4. akbrener

Name:
    Andrew
    I have a snap on battery load tester at work that goes through the CCA and %.. plus battery is only a year old.

as far as grounds i got whatever i could see, i think there were 4.

It does not act like the battery is low, it’s almost like whatever pause happens when i turn the key disconnects power for a split second then fires right up without any strain or extended cranking. Only thing that seems to be affected is clock radio. Presets are still saved, trip odometer mpg etc is all good. Not like i disconnected battery.

5. akbrener

Name:
    Andrew
    Was thinking ignition switch that was linked above due to the fact that it seems to only happen if i put key in and roll right to starting. Pause on the on position for 5 seconds and it perfectly fine every time

6. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    At one time on my 02 Tahoe I would get the same thing and my clock would reset and so would my radio selections. I found a loose corroded positive battery cable and did a thorough cleaning and retension and has been fine ever since, for 2 years.

Joseph Garcia likes this.
  7. avalonandl

avalonandl Full Access Member

Name:
    roger
    Agree with PNW- Check all grounds & batt connections

PNW VietVet likes this.