Intermittent Delayed crank- loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Tahoe 5.3- Randomly the truck will hesitate to start, turn key and i get a click an no crank or a 1-2 second delay and it will crank over. If it does not crank I will reset key and try again, and usually starts on second try. Biggest indicator that something is up is that the clock will reset to 12:00, like it cuts power to the car.

I thought it was the starter at first, had replaced it 2 years ago and warranty swapped it at Advance auto. still did it again intermittently a few days later. Replaced all positive wires from battery through mega fuse to fuse block as well as the wire from battery to starter. cleaned ALL grounds, and checked battery. All good.

Am I looking at a faulty ingition switch? seems that if i do not pause for a few seconds in the "ON" position it will do the weird delay. There does not seem to be any trend to this issue, have had this happen first thing in the morning on my way to work, at the gas station after being parked for 5 mins, or after a 6 hour work day.

All I hear is a faint click inside the truck when it hesitates, before I replaced the starter I would get an audible POP from under the engine like something overloaded. the starter was bad. hence the warranty replacement.

Again, thinking ignition switch (not the key clyinder, but the electronic box attached). one time i did get a hard reset of the HVAC system before i replaced all the positive wires. maybe missing something else?? Thanks!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As PNW VietVet, suggested, please confirm that your battery is indeed good, which means a performing a test to confirm actual available cranking amps, and not just 12 volts.

If the battery is good, along with all of the connecting wires, including engine block and chassis grounds, then the ignition switch electrical box and the associated relay would be the next items to consider replacing, as PNW VietVet suggested.

The ignition switch itself can fail in the start position, as I had that issue on my 1997 Yukon (RIP), but I would check out the above suggestions first.

Other folks will chime in with additional suggestions.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a snap on battery load tester at work that goes through the CCA and %.. plus battery is only a year old.

as far as grounds i got whatever i could see, i think there were 4.

It does not act like the battery is low, it’s almost like whatever pause happens when i turn the key disconnects power for a split second then fires right up without any strain or extended cranking. Only thing that seems to be affected is clock radio. Presets are still saved, trip odometer mpg etc is all good. Not like i disconnected battery.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking ignition switch that was linked above due to the fact that it seems to only happen if i put key in and roll right to starting. Pause on the on position for 5 seconds and it perfectly fine every time

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At one time on my 02 Tahoe I would get the same thing and my clock would reset and so would my radio selections. I found a loose corroded positive battery cable and did a thorough cleaning and retension and has been fine ever since, for 2 years.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a good update. replaced the ignition switch/module under the column. The small "button" that goes into the lock cylinder housing was quite worn and I have a feeling that it may have not made whatever on/off connection it needed to make when cycling the key. the new module and button looks like a ball point pen that clicks in and out. the old one was pretty much flat and gunked up.

fingers crossed this fixed it. was a very easy repair, and the part was about $20 on amazon for dorman brand.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp.. its doing it again. very random. If I turn the key it to start everything goes dark for the split second like usual. but no start. I hold the key and it will crank about 3 seconds later. Ususally if I do not release the key the radio clock and HVAC are as they were before. If i turn the key, get the delay and release the key before it cranks, the clock is back at 12:00 and the HVAC is back at the "reset" mode... both sides at 74* and in auto.

So far I have replaced the ignition switch module, starter, ALL positive cables from battery to fuse and battery to starter. I even switched to my spare set of keys. I removed all the ground connections I can find on the engine, cleaned the battery posts (not dirty, but scrubbed to get clean post). Will go get the battery load tested tomorrow just to check.

Again, I cannot point to a repetitive cause for this, will sometimes delay on the first start in the morning, sometimes after I get gas it has been driving for a while, and if it delays and i turn it back off, it will start right up no problem. Also I have never had an issue with using remote start. Every remote start operation it fires right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157