Installing aftermarket brake controller with factory ITBC (JL1)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 Yukon XL Denali, has the factory integrated brake controller (JL1).

I wish to install the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and would like to know if the GM wiring adapter from Tekonsha is needed for this.

Does the taped up 4-wire bare leads exist if you have the ITBC?

Done messing with the non-working ITBC for now, running out of time to get things done.

Anyone who had installed an aftermarket controller with the integrated please chime in.

Edit to add:

Would an aftermarket be plug and play, or would I need to cut any of the factory wiring behind the 7-pin?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you should still have the 4 wire leads taped up under the dash that the wire harness from the aftermarket controller gets spliced into

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add @swathdiver and @Joseph Garcia to this thread as I don't want to see any magic smoke.

Forgive me if I'm completely not recognizing the obvious....and that is in regards to the two red wires that get mounted to the studs outside the fuse box.

Since I have the JL1 factory controller, and I want to add an aftermarket controller, do I still connect the red wire that's between the fuse box and the fender?

I'm assuming that's the red wire that goes to the blunt end wires taped up next to the steering column behind the dash?

Do I also need to disconnect the factory brake control switch?

Reaction score
I don't have the ITBC, I installed an aftermarket one, but my manual says...

Screenshot_20220809-170347_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

With that being said, maybe the previous owner disconnected the ITBC to run an aftermarket one and that's why you can't get it to work. Do the 4 wires under the dash look like they've been used or are they still taped up good?

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wires were tucked in the tape outside the wire loom

Screenshot_20220809-181033_Gallery.jpg

Terminated as shown...

Screenshot_20220809-181048_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about you mentioning being taped up good....the last 2 GM's I wired up had electrical tape on the ends of all the wires, or taped up good as a bundle.

Three of these wires were bare but tucked away nicely.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would definitely be one of concern if it wasn't.

I do have 12V on the light blue/white when the brake is pressed.

Reaction score
I'm guessing they were previously hooked up and that's why the ITBC doesn't work. I'd test the other wires, or just the red with a volt meter and use the white as ground.

You do have the wire bundles by the underhood fuse box connected to the front posts?

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did connect the fender-side red to confirm 12V at 4-wire bundle.

Ground is good.

Here's the problem I think I'm going to face.

The blue wire at the 7-pin here,

Screenshot_20220809-185713_Gallery.jpg

Goes to the blue at the factory relay connector here.

Screenshot_20220809-185727_Gallery.jpg

So that begs the question, where does this blue wire that connects to the aftermarket brake controller go?

Screenshot_20220809-185658_Gallery.jpg

I'm not sold yet on these wires being used, maybe the tape is still up next to the wire loom.

I still show the factory controller working in the Tech 2, when I move the slider, the module sees the values change.

Do I need to run a length of wire from the controller to the 7-pin for the blue lead?

The JL1 option is nice, but becoming a massive headache..lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts