Installing a steering damper this week.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet they do.... I may give them a shout tomorrow from work, just to see. I may have to wait and measure the RC one.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

They do make one, you would need to fab up mounting brackets for it - looks like an OEM replacement type damper

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-steering-damper/
Sweet. After work I'm going to see if anyone has fabbed up some brackets and has a template I can use

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via Tapatalk for Android

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. After work I'm going to see if anyone has fabbed up some brackets and has a template I can use

You may want to look at the oem Ford brackets. I think this is a direct fit with the Ford trucks set up. Prob others.

At least with this part # Bilstein 24-158848 Monotube Steering Damper,

Bilstein makes several. Just searched Amazon.

Last edited:

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been considering one of those for a couple months now. I mean you cant really go wrong with a $60 investment. Definitely interested to hear how the install goes and if you notice any improvements.

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been considering one of those for a couple months now. I mean you cant really go wrong with a $60 investment. Definitely interested to hear how the install goes and if you notice any improvements.

Sure thing. I'll post up some info soon.

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a late start on this today but I got it in - the install is very easy and straight forward.

Didn't have a chance to get but 1 quick pic

Nice kit, Im going to paint the brackets, other than that it did require to drill 1 hole. All in all simple job.

I did test drive it but not too extensive of a drive, initial impression was great, I drove over some areas like train tracks and some rough road. Those areas were rock solid feeling when driven over, before not so much. At times the damper can make steering feel a little bit heavier if that makes sense. That doesn't bother me though I actually like it. Most of the time you don't realize its there until you hit those areas that gave hard type knock or wobble. For $60 its a very noticeable upgrade for me and am wondering why these trucks did not come with one to begin with.

Now the Yukon was pretty smooth stock, once I put the Readylift kit on, there was a rougher aspect to the ride when driving over previous mentioned areas. The damper has returned the ultra smooth feel. I will evaluate it more but I did not have to drive far to tell it was $60 well spent. Sorry not many pics, but the link I posted earlier on about the install by another member here looks the same. If anyone has any specific questions just let me know Ill try and answer them.

Bottom line I am glad I added this little damper.

image_23.jpg

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any updates? How do you like it after trying it out for a bit? Can you provide us with a few more installed picts, so we can see how the brackets mount; that be really cool. Ordered through amazon?

I got a late start on this today but I got it in - the install is very easy and straight forward.

Didn't have a chance to get but 1 quick pic

Nice kit, Im going to paint the brackets, other than that it did require to drill 1 hole. All in all simple job.

I did test drive it but not too extensive of a drive, initial impression was great, I drove over some areas like train tracks and some rough road. Those areas were rock solid feeling when driven over, before not so much. At times the damper can make steering feel a little bit heavier if that makes sense. That doesn't bother me though I actually like it. Most of the time you don't realize its there until you hit those areas that gave hard type knock or wobble. For $60 its a very noticeable upgrade for me and am wondering why these trucks did not come with one to begin with.

Now the Yukon was pretty smooth stock, once I put the Readylift kit on, there was a rougher aspect to the ride when driving over previous mentioned areas. The damper has returned the ultra smooth feel. I will evaluate it more but I did not have to drive far to tell it was $60 well spent. Sorry not many pics, but the link I posted earlier on about the install by another member here looks the same. If anyone has any specific questions just let me know Ill try and answer them.

Bottom line I am glad I added this little damper.

image_23.jpg

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like it - it takes some getting used to and there is a slight break in period. You must manipulate your steering wheel a little more than you may be used to right after install but now it just feels smooth and when I hit holes and bumps she's solid which is what I wanted. I am in specialized fire school this week and the schedule is pretty grueling.... I will post pics first chance I get which will prob be Sunday.

I recommend it - if someone doesn't like it it comes off very easily. I recommend painting your brackets prior to install - I was lazy and painted them while mounted - its under the truck, not worried about "looks"

I bought it directly from Rough Countrys eBay store, you can offer a few dollars less for it (save just a few bucks) and they ship quick.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like it - it takes some getting used to and there is a slight break in period. You must manipulate your steering wheel a little more than you may be used to right after install but now it just feels smooth and when I hit holes and bumps she's solid which is what I wanted. I am in specialized fire school this week and the schedule is pretty grueling.... I will post pics first chance I get which will prob be Sunday.

I recommend it - if someone doesn't like it it comes off very easily. I recommend painting your brackets prior to install - I was lazy and painted them while mounted - its under the truck, not worried about "looks"

I bought it directly from Rough Countrys eBay store, you can offer a few dollars less for it (save just a few bucks) and they ship quick.
I've really been wanting to do this. My Hoe is at the shop right now cause I ****** up big time and popped a freon hose while drilling in my radiator mount. $450 mistake. I'm a full time dumbass.

Did you need to fab custom bracket for mounting and do you have a build thread? I really want to do this.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough man. Can't argue with that. Just from what I've hear, KYB is practically on par w/ bilstein

Well... KYB does make some decent monotube shocks. They certainly also sell twin tube, cheapo, low quality shocks as well. The difference between that rough country (tenneco, same as monroe and many others) shock and the KYB is probably nothing more than the sticker... Bilstein however does not produce any shocks that are twin tube design, and only sell high quality monotube shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really been wanting to do this. My Hoe is at the shop right now cause I ****** up big time and popped a freon hose while drilling in my radiator mount. $450 mistake. I'm a full time dumbass.

Did you need to fab custom bracket for mounting and do you have a build thread? I really want to do this.

Damn that sucks - I didn't do a install thread because someone else already did and I posted it in the 4th post I think, its real easy - If you decide to do it and need anything contact me Id be glad to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts