Installed lifted torsion keys..are they in right??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be dabbling in an area that most of us don't see the need of delving into...and I think that you would be DANGEROUSLY close to putting the front suspension geometry over the edge. You would more than likely start tearing up your CV joints. You have to remember that just because you are using aftermarket keys, there are still limits to how much lift you an achieve without having problems. The keys don't change the limits of the suspension, they just increase or decrease the "starting point" of how high the truck sits, so to speak. More simply, the just change the range of adjustment - lift keys start the truck up higher than stock so you can lift it more, lowering keys start the truck off lower so you can lower it more. With aftermarket ford LIFT keys on your truck, I personally think that even with the bolts backed all the way off, your front suspension geometry would already be in the red zone before any cranking was done. However, if you wanna be a guinea pig for us, go right ahead and try it lol.

Ford keys are a cheap way of doing a lift for these things. Conversely, you can spend a little more money on a set of "brand X" lift keys on ebay...they are all essentially the same thing, just marketed differently.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also remember that you don't wanna go much higher than 2.5 or 3" in the front, since the biggest spacers you can run out back are 1.5". Maybe you can find some 2" spacers, but they can get dangerous..I've heard that 2"+ spacers can allow the spring to slip, not sure how accurate that is though. Unless you're into the front end being way higher than the rear, skip the ford lift keys.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a set of used ford keys, and installed them today... i got it all leveled out at 37" all around. Yeah probably wont do coil spacers or else i will be back to having front rake. my driver side key still had to be cranked quite a bit..but at least this time i have about 1/2 inch of threads left.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i called a junk yard and asked about torsion keys from a 99-03...(they gave them out of a 99) but i think if you look at the part number given farther up in the posts... it is from something like a 97-03 F150, expedition and some other stuff.

was hoping mine would lift it a bit more, so that i could put spacers in the rear..but oh well. Now i just want to find a cheap 3" body lift so i can clear some bigger tires w/o trimming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12