Installed lifted torsion keys..are they in right??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, a guy i work with bought a set of keys off ebay to lift a 99 up chevy truck. he thinks they were for a 3/4 ton truck?? Anyway...he bought an older style truck (97) so he gave me the keys. We installed them and i can get the front cranked up to almost level with the rear... problem is the drivers side is cranked up max and i only have 35 3/4" from ground to fender lip. Passenger side matches only passenger side screw is not maxed out. Will longer bolts help out?

SO while the keys were out i looked at the difference and the new keys were different by maybe 1/2 inch... Are these the right keys?? Did i just get my drivers side torsion bar turned wrong? I installed the keys thinking that i wouldn't need to have them cranked all the way up like my stock ones, meaning i could continue to level it out as the front settles.

I did put air lift 1000 bags into the rear coil springs...not sure if that changes the front in any way. The rear sits right at 37" inches from ground to fender lip. (measured at center of the wheel)

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that 3/4 ton keys are the ones you need to level the front out - I dont think that the index on them is different enough to make a huge difference. Most of us use Ford F150 keys because they index quite a bit differently and give you greater lift potential.

I know very little about the 3/4 ton keys, so I might be talking out my ass...

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i get the ford keys...will it lift it enough in order to justify a 2 in rear coil spacer?? Looking to make it look like a small lift on my truck with out having to spend big bucks on a 4 in lift... or a body lift.

Been a couple weeks of riding around with the different keys and it stayed pretty close to the same height, but my rear still sits higher by an inch or so.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the setup I'm running and I love it. Ford keys up front, 1.5" spacers in the rear. The whole thing cost me less than $120 shipped.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i get the f150 keys and what do they cost? will a dealer give me a good deal or can i get them cheaper else where?

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, the prices have shot up a little lately, just like with everything else. I got them for about $24 each, so a little less than $60 shipped. But, I've seen them priced anywhere from $43 to nearly $60 lately. I'd call you local ford dealership first and see what they would cost you to get. You'll be looking for part number XL3Z5B328CA.

If they can score you some for less than $50/ea, thats a good deal right now, especially since you wouldn't have to pay shipping. If not, google Ford Parts Online and see what websites you come up with, then start punching that part number in to check prices. A good price right now is in the $43-$45 range, but check shipping too. Some places charge alot less than others.

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the 3/4 ton keys wont help you out much. Yuke2k was right, the difference in the keys isnt enough to make that big of a difference. Hell i just bought a set of keys and shocks for just under 200 for the front of my tahoe. I sit about 1.5 to 2 inchs higher in the front, with the bolts barly turned up. Now all i need is the spacer for the back.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i priced out the ford keys...HOLY CRAP-O-LA they must have went sky high!!! ford wants $58 for 1 key!!! Gotta imagine i can find em cheaper somehwere else?? Anyone know if a junk yard would sell them to ya?

Anyone know what would happen if you max out a set of Ford keys? Ride like crap? Break stuff??

I know the keys i put in gained me a little more lift than my stock ones..but only like an inch.... My front fender lip is at 35.75" while my rear sits a 37". (driver side key is maxxed out, passenger has about 3/4" to go) Anyone have a truck sitting higher with ford keys and coil spacers in the rear? i was thinking if i could get it to 39" it would look like it had a lift kit, but not sure if this would wreck the front cv axles or not? Could one space out the cv axles like they do on a 4" lift kit...by using a machined spacer block or would that not work?

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit just puttin the ford keys in there everything will be lifted already. My buddy put some in his and we didnt even turn his up at all. I got a 2" level kit from ready lift and my front fenders sat at a hair over 40 inches, and i only had them about half way up. I let them all the way down and i sit at 37-38 or so(havent measured it).

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i called the junk yard today... over the phone he quoted me $5.00 a key. SO i will definetly be picking up a pair there. Guy didn't really know what i wanted exactly so maybe they will charge me more..but it shouldn't be anywhere close to $50!!

anyone know where to get a heavy duty c-clamp that will let me install the keys?? Last time i rented a ball joint press which i could do again, but it doesnt have an end that fits in the dimple..and so far no one around here rents a torsion bar tool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts