Installed Cherry Bomb Vortex Catback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed this Cherry Bomb Vortex catback from eBay seller performance-curve. Realized that the previous owner of my Tahoe decided to cut and downstep the 3" exhaust to 2 1/4" single pipe, then 90* off that new too small pipe about 5" later second pipe from that to make a "dual exhaust". The bends were literally done by the pipe being cut, bent, and the gap filled with literal hard angle bends, not smooth flowing. Can't believe I didn't notice until now.

Anyway, this slipped together no problem (well had to file one pipe end a little, but... 2 minutes) and the car objectively runs better and gets better gas mileage... it felt constricted compared to now. I don't think this exhaust would add a single horsepower if you have the full stock exhaust, but I sure did thanks to some cheap idiot prior owner. Acceleration right off the line is notable smoother, more reactive - not profound, but it's obvious. Exhaust pipe outlet with this kit is a little farther back than I'd prefer (right before the rear bumper vs close to the back of the tire) but I can fix that later. Will be replacing the included clamps with band clamps out of preference - I have no leaks as it is. Sound is deep, on the border between moderate and aggressive with a sort of underlying chamber echo sorta kinda sound, and thanks to the amount of sound insulation in these vehicles, you get just a nice ambient burble catback rumble on the highway (at least with my BFGs) and there's no drone to my ears. It's notably lighter than stock, but... not gonna notice any better 0-60 times from that with my tires. Overall, very happy for $200 spent and since I'm in Georgia, I don't really need "stainless steel" for an exhaust... this should last long enough. The seller also has Flowmaster and Magnaflow-based systems for more money. I went the cheap route.

I'll slap up some pictures and a sound video later.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the results of your exhaust project. It will add to our knowledge base.

And, yes, some pics, when you have time.

I did not know that the 'Cherry Bomb' brand label was still in existence. Oh, the memories about the Cherry Bomb mufflers of the late 60's and early 70's. Great memories, except for the times being stopped and ticketed for excessive exhaust noise.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Installed this Cherry Bomb Vortex catback from eBay seller performance-curve. Realized that the previous owner of my Tahoe decided to cut and downstep the 3" exhaust to 2 1/4" single pipe, then 90* off that new too small pipe about 5" later second pipe from that to make a "dual exhaust". The bends were literally done by the pipe being cut, bent, and the gap filled with literal hard angle bends, not smooth flowing. Can't believe I didn't notice until now.

Anyway, this slipped together no problem (well had to file one pipe end a little, but... 2 minutes) and the car objectively runs better and gets better gas mileage... it felt constricted compared to now. I don't think this exhaust would add a single horsepower if you have the full stock exhaust, but I sure did thanks to some cheap idiot prior owner. Acceleration right off the line is notable smoother, more reactive - not profound, but it's obvious. Exhaust pipe outlet with this kit is a little farther back than I'd prefer (right before the rear bumper vs close to the back of the tire) but I can fix that later. Will be replacing the included clamps with band clamps out of preference - I have no leaks as it is. Sound is deep, on the border between moderate and aggressive with a sort of underlying chamber echo sorta kinda sound, and thanks to the amount of sound insulation in these vehicles, you get just a nice ambient burble catback rumble on the highway (at least with my BFGs) and there's no drone to my ears. It's notably lighter than stock, but... not gonna notice any better 0-60 times from that with my tires. Overall, very happy for $200 spent and since I'm in Georgia, I don't really need "stainless steel" for an exhaust... this should last long enough. The seller also has Flowmaster and Magnaflow-based systems for more money. I went the cheap route.

I'll slap up some pictures and a sound video later.
In it for the vid.

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the video (with a couple photos embedded):

Cold Start Up - 0:35
Revs & Drive By - 1:00
Exterior Mic:
- Driving Around - 3:06
- Highway (Accelerate, Cruise) - 7:39
Interior Mic:
- Driving Around - 10:14
- Highway (Accelerate, Cruise): 16:00

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Here's the video (with a couple photos embedded):

Cold Start Up - 0:35
Revs & Drive By - 1:00
Exterior Mic:
- Driving Around - 3:06
- Highway (Accelerate, Cruise) - 7:39
Interior Mic:
- Driving Around - 10:14
- Highway (Accelerate, Cruise): 16:00
Informative vid. Didn't they know you were making a video?? GEEZ!! Lol. I couldn't believe how quiet the cabin is while driving. No drone at all. Nice. When I was a kid(I'm 50) Cherry Bombs had no longevity, they'd rust on in a year or so. I am in New Jersey tho, so winters with salt aren't good for metal.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not banking on this Cherry Bomb lasting forever, but it'll last long enough in Georgia. And if it rusts out, I spent $200... not $600+ on an exhaust. I can slap in another muffler in 20 min.
Makes sense to me. Great vid.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not banking on this Cherry Bomb lasting forever, but it'll last long enough in Georgia. And if it rusts out, I spent $200... not $600+ on an exhaust. I can slap in another muffler in 20 min.
looked up your Muffler on ebay. 3'' Center / 2.5'' Dual Outlets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looked up your Muffler on ebay. 3'' Center / 2.5'' Dual Outlets.

Mine is 3" center in, 3" offset single out. No, it's not an expensive muffler by itself. The properly bent 3" piping is what's most expensive.

And I'm happy to support a seller putting the package together for a fair price, not the ridiculous 300% markup the brands slap on to their product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon