Independent Suspension verses solid axle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious on opinions for those who have been driving Suburbans/Tahoe's and Yukons for a while and now have new, how does the ride and stability compare with the new style verses solid axle from the past?

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt just drive one we rented it for a month last summer. I have had many GM trucks, including several suburbans, and Yukon XL's. This new independent rear is a true game changer. Awesome ride, and handles fantastic. We were in Utah, Wyoming, and Montana at 90 mph in turns and it was planted and impressive. Huge difference from the solid axle. I didn't tow with it. just a loaded suburban with family and dog fully packed and it was a dream. If there are draw backs i didnt find them.

sanman28

Reaction score
For the purposes these vehicles are meant for….IRS is best. Lots of towing and a solid rear would be best…..solid front and rear would be awesome for a real off-road rig.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thrilled with the IRS. I tow my 4200lb boat every weekend all summer, I still think my 22 tows better than my 13. Handling not compromised at all. Air suspension really helps the towing. Rides better than my parents 77 Coupe de Ville ever did..IRS in this application is the perfect setup!!!

Rizop

Reaction score
That’s great to hear . The majority of YouTube reviews mention that the ride has improved tremendously . A few mention that the IRS primarily benefits the third row and trunk space but that the ride is still strangely unsettled . Glad it’s an improvement

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would love to drive an IRS rig to compare against my Hellwig front and rear set up on my 05 Z71. I have not towed with my rig but have had it fully loaded in second row to ceiling and rear seats gone and fully loaded to ceiling all the way to the back and it still handled like a dream. I also have Cooper AT's load range E 10 ply that take max air at 80 psi and I run them at 45 psi. I need to road test an IRS rig for sure.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s great to hear . The majority of YouTube reviews mention that the ride has improved tremendously . A few mention that the IRS primarily benefits the third row and trunk space but that the ride is still strangely unsettled . Glad it’s an improvement

After having ours for 2 weeks I tend to agree. I was expecting a much better improvement in ride quality/handling but, at least our LWB suburban feels indeed unsettled. We have the regular suspension no MRC or Air ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17