Increase Brake Performance On '97 Tahoe Questions! I know, Redundant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long time reader and first post.
I have a '97 Tahoe LT 4X4 2 door with rear drums.
I pull a 14 foot trailer with a tractor. Total weight is around 4500 pounds. Pulls pretty good considering. A little lacking in power for the hills on the highway but I just take it easy!
Braking is where it is suffering. I know it is a lot of weight for the truck but I'd like to see what I can do to increase the braking power some.
I considered rear disk conversion but after reading on here it seems it is not a very effective upgrade for the costs.
I have also been reading up on the Hydroboost and other changes.
Front has new disks and good pads, original calipers and hoses. Dealer recently tried to replace the brake fluid but couldn't get the RR to bleed. They did adjust the rears which helped the peddle.
So, if you were wanting to get a little more stopping power what path would you take, aside from buying a 3/4 ton truck!
Thanks for any advice you're willing to offer. I'll try to answer any questions also.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long time reader and first post.
I have a '97 Tahoe LT 4X4 2 door with rear drums.
I pull a 14 foot trailer with a tractor. Total weight is around 4500 pounds. Pulls pretty good considering. A little lacking in power for the hills on the highway but I just take it easy!
Braking is where it is suffering. I know it is a lot of weight for the truck but I'd like to see what I can do to increase the braking power some.
I considered rear disk conversion but after reading on here it seems it is not a very effective upgrade for the costs.
I have also been reading up on the Hydroboost and other changes.
Front has new disks and good pads, original calipers and hoses. Dealer recently tried to replace the brake fluid but couldn't get the RR to bleed. They did adjust the rears which helped the peddle.
So, if you were wanting to get a little more stopping power what path would you take, aside from buying a 3/4 ton truck!
Thanks for any advice you're willing to offer. I'll try to answer any questions also.
I'd start by going through the entire system. Def replace the original brake hoses, possibly with braided lines. They'll def help with pedal feel. I'd also look carefully at the calipers and associated hardware especially the RR wheel cylinder that won't bleed. Might be a good idea to look into rebuilds for the calipers. Hydroboost would be a good upgrade imo. How's your booster and master cylinder? I'm no expert, so this is just off the top of my head.

OP
OP
W

wirlybird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd start by going through the entire system. Def replace the original brake hoses, possibly with braided lines. They'll def help with pedal feel. I'd also look carefully at the calipers and associated hardware especially the RR wheel cylinder that won't bleed. Might be a good idea to look into rebuilds for the calipers. Hydroboost would be a good upgrade imo. How's your booster and master cylinder? I'm no expert, so this is just off the top of my head.
Thanks for the insights.
I am considering calipers and hoses.
Rear wheel cylinders were new a few years back when I had the rear brakes done.
I was a little surprised the dealer couldn't identify why they couldn't bleed the RR brake. I'm going to jack it up and see if the brake works on the RR. If it does then probably a plugged bleader.
As far as I know the booster and master cylinder are ok. They are original but no known issues.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights.
I am considering calipers and hoses.
Rear wheel cylinders were new a few years back when I had the rear brakes done.
I was a little surprised the dealer couldn't identify why they couldn't bleed the RR brake. I'm going to jack it up and see if the brake works on the RR. If it does then probably a plugged bleader.
As far as I know the booster and master cylinder are ok. They are original but no known issues.
Are you in a salty state? Rust could be the issue.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not understand how the dealer could not bleed the brakes and left it at that... I would remove that bleeder valve and replace it. Flush all the lines with good brake fluid. If you are pulling a heavy trailer, I would be looking at trailer brakes.
As to upgrading the front brakes to larger rotors, IDK... on the GMT800's you can mount bigger brakes, but idk if the same fit on these.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Wheel cylinder replacement usually helps. Not like a Hydroboost upgrade does though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas