In need of a new SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam123

Reaction score
I would personally not get any of these for the long term. These new SUVs I would keep max until warranty is over. My new suburban has already had an issue with some of the steering wheel controls and it's not even been 4 months yet - still love it though!

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but have questions about a new Tahoe.

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Sequioa but i want to upgrade. I do tow boats and have a 5000lb ski boat that gets towed in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. I am looking for a good reliable SUV. I haven't been keen on GM products but the new tahoe has really caught my eye. I also live in a state where winter brings us quite a bit of snow *Wisconsin). So 4x4 is essential.

My question is, is the Tahoe (2016 or new 2017) a good reliable vehicle. I am not that interested in a new sequioa due to its outdated gas mileage and styling. They haven't changed a thing in 7 years. I love the way the tahoe looks and it fits my needs. But i still worry if i am buying an SUV that will only last 100k miles before the thing falls apart. I have 100k on my sequioa now and haven't had a single problem with it since i bought it new in 2010. i have had a few chevy's in my life all of which were not very good vehicles.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion on the Chevy brand? Specifically the new tahoes. What the problems are, what i can expect if i buy one? I know this forum may be brand biased but looking for honest opinions.

Forgot I'm also from WI. Duratracs performed awesome in the last snow we got.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally not get any of these for the long term. These new SUVs I would keep max until warranty is over. My new suburban has already had an issue with some of the steering wheel controls and it's not even been 4 months yet - still love it though!

I'd have to agree with this. I generally do not keep vehicles more than 10-15k miles outside of the bumper to bumper warranty. Many I've not kept past the warranty expiration at all. If my family or financial circumstances dictated that I change this, I'd purchase a GM extended warranty without question.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this though, when i bought my 01 it wasn't for a daily driver and when i sold it 14 yrs and 187000 miles later it eas still running strong and i never had any major problems with it besides normal maintenance and normal things that meed to be taken care if on any older, high mileage vehicle.

My 13 feels stronger and i will keep it until i feel like a new one...

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been a loyal GM guy since 1968 when I bought my Firebird 400, Ram Air convertible. (Wish I still had that one!)
I usually keep vehicles 6 years or until they reach 100,000 miles.
My wife had Camaros and Impalas for years.
She now drives a Honda CR-V. The later Impalas would just not hold up. Her CR-V has been in the shop four times in four years--for oil changes and that is it.

After all of the problems that I have had with my 2015 LTZ Tahoe I will sell it before the bumper to bumper warranty expires.
I will not purchase another GM product again.
I would NOT recommend a new Tahoe to ANYONE.

Be safe out there.
Bob

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking this type of question always gets the worst examples on the pile to throw their reviews.

Owner of a 2000 Yukon SLT from 2000-2006 and had one issue with it being the Starter going up in 2005. Got under the vehicle myself after buying a Starter from Advanced Auto, installed.. drove another 30K miles (170K in total) before letting her go due to seeing the 2007s (GMT900) arrive.

Owner of 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ from 2006-2014. No issues at all except the Stabilitrak wires being chewed on by a damn unlucky squirrel and for some reason having to change my Brake Caliper BRACKET because aftermarket brake pads just wouldn't slide in properly. Traded in with 150+K

Owner of 2015 GMC Yukon SLT.. No issues with the truck except that it came with Continentals. Put Michilen LTXs on after 36K (1K ago) and "OH WHAT A FEELING!!!" (Toyota Pun.. EFF Toyota.. for all time)

This truck is reliable.. beautiful.. comfy.. powerful. OH.. I wish like hell that I had of gotten Full Backseat instead of Capt. Chairs. My Yukon has on occasion after meeting a lady or two.. been my "hotel" and its hard to really get down with Capt Seats. My last two were full seats and was better than a king size bed when used for this recreationi70mfl.jpg

So in summary..
1) If U can afford.. get Escalade.. I prefer the look over all but at the time I bought all they had was the ESV and I think the size is too much for me
2) Buy Michilens..or work it in the deal
3) Get Full Size Back seat.. better for recreational purposed
4) Eff Toyota.. Nissan.. Mercedes.. and any Foreign brand

Last edited:

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He asked.
I answered.
I will give glowing reviews about my 2009 Tahoe LTZ, 2003 Tahoe, 1999 Tahoe, 1992 Tahoe and so on if you wish.

I'm too old to be fighting with a car company over an inferior quality vehicle.
Basically--
Transmission and ring and pinion replaced at 26,000 miles to cure a noise that I first reported at 1,200 miles.
"Booming" in the 40 MPH range.
More rattles and squeaks that I can count.
I will not listen to:
"That is normal." when I report something.
It took GM engineers two attempts to get rid of that driveline noise after the local dealer gave up.

My last words on this subject.
Be safe.
Bob

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking this type of question always gets the worst examples on the pile to throw their reviews.

Owner of a 2000 Yukon SLT from 2000-2006 and had one issue with it being the Starter going up in 2005. Got under the vehicle myself after buying a Starter from Advanced Auto, installed.. drove another 30K miles (170K in total) before letting her go due to seeing the 2007s (GMT900) arrive.

Owner of 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ from 2006-2014. No issues at all except the Stabilitrak wires being chewed on by a damn unlucky squirrel and for some reason having to change my Brake Caliper BRACKET because aftermarket brake pads just wouldn't slide in properly. Traded in with 150+K

Owner of 2015 GMC Yukon SLT.. No issues with the truck except that it came with Continentals. Put Michilen LTXs on after 36K (1K ago) and "OH WHAT A FEELING!!!" (Toyota Pun.. EFF Toyota.. for all time)

This truck is reliable.. beautiful.. comfy.. powerful. OH.. I wish like hell that I had of gotten Full Backseat instead of Capt. Chairs. My Yukon has on occasion after meeting a lady or two.. been my "hotel" and its hard to really get down with Capt Seats. My last two were full seats and was better than a king size bed when used for this recreationi70mfl.jpg

So in summary..
1) If U can afford.. get Escalade.. I prefer the look over all but at the time I bought all they had was the ESV and I think the size is too much for me
2) Buy Michilens..or work it in the deal
3) Get Full Size Back seat.. better for recreational purposed
4) Eff Toyota.. Nissan.. Mercedes.. and any Foreign brand

God forbid people answer the questions posed.

It's not like they are spamming threads with the same post whenever someone that doesn't post a glowing review offends them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He asked.
I answered.
I will give glowing reviews about my 2009 Tahoe LTZ, 2003 Tahoe, 1999 Tahoe, 1992 Tahoe and so on if you wish.

I'm too old to be fighting with a car company over an inferior quality vehicle.
Basically--
Transmission and ring and pinion replaced at 26,000 miles to cure a noise that I first reported at 1,200 miles.
"Booming" in the 40 MPH range.
More rattles and squeaks that I can count.
I will not listen to:
"That is normal." when I report something.
It took GM engineers two attempts to get rid of that driveline noise after the local dealer gave up.

My last words on this subject.
Be safe.
Bob

I'm not sure what is more ridiculous-the poor quality of that Tahoe or the repeated "that is normal" from the service department staff. I've heard that line of bs before. They say it as if you haven't ever owned a full size SUV or pickup before and don't know any better.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I did my research last fall, I found that JD Power rated the Tahoe/Yukon at 5/5 stars for 3-year reliability. Then recently, Consumer Reports listed them among the 10 least-reliable vehicles you can buy, though they did not disclose specific issues. So it's hard to say.

Knock wood, my 2016 purchased in September has yet to skip a beat. I think it is very handsome and the advancements in the interior were sufficient to get me over to a Tahoe after three consecutive BMWs. There is some rattling somewhere in the center stack that I can't get to; it only happens over bumps and rough roads. But it is there.

On the whole, my Tahoe is a very, very nice, comfortable, and capable vehicle that I like very much. My indie mechanic is an import guy, but when I told him I had bought a Tahoe he said that it is the vehicle they recommend the most to people who ask, along with the Sequoia. He felt like we had made a good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts