Impala electrical woes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '04 Impala I recently picked up cheap. The previous owner let a lot of little issues build up then got rid of it. 80K in two years. $1000 and I drove it as soon as I got home. Most of the issues are straightforward mechanical problems. I do have one issue that I'd like some input on. Most of the warning lights are things like bad sensors. One gremlin (I guess it needed a home when AMC closed down) is the fuel gauge. It will read full when I start the car. After a minute or so, it will drop to empty and the low fuel message comes on. I replaced the fuel pump as at 162K I figured it was about to fail and when I pulled it, I saw metal parts in the tank from the old one so it needed it.

Before I pull the dash panel and replace the stepper motor, I want to make sure it isn't something else. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be and my eyes are as good on close work anymore.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '04 Impala I recently picked up cheap. The previous owner let a lot of little issues build up then got rid of it. 80K in two years. $1000 and I drove it as soon as I got home. Most of the issues are straightforward mechanical problems. I do have one issue that I'd like some input on. Most of the warning lights are things like bad sensors. One gremlin (I guess it needed a home when AMC closed down) is the fuel gauge. It will read full when I start the car. After a minute or so, it will drop to empty and the low fuel message comes on. I replaced the fuel pump as at 162K I figured it was about to fail and when I pulled it, I saw metal parts in the tank from the old one so it needed it.

Before I pull the dash panel and replace the stepper motor, I want to make sure it isn't something else. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be and my eyes are as good on close work anymore.

The dash is easy to pull it only takes 5-7 min(mostly held on by clips) there is some screws that will need to be taken out first
two near where the cluster is
and two under the driver side kick panel also possibly two on the passenger side you will also need to remove the fuse covers on both sides with hide another screw i think

also check the ground wire above the driver side head light that one is connected to the ECM/BCM that is in the air box...

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've traced a bunch of the problems and corrected them. New fuel pump (old one dropped some pieces and was failing) checked the power and ground wires at the pump, got the horn working again (damaged fuse block caused the fuse to blow), found the problem with the rear brakes, replaced a couple of wheel bearings, I even found the small nail causing one tire to go flat over a week.

I still have trouble with the fuel gauge on the dash. It will read full when you first start. Once the self check is done, it drops to empty and the "low fuel" notice lights up. I'm fairly sure the wires are good and I snagged an identical dash cluster from the bone yard and swapped it in. Everything on it worked but the fuel gauge. No difference between it and my original one. I've run out of ideas. Anybody got one on what to check?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts