Air ride compressor woes …

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunslinger

Reaction score
Drive 2010 Escalade EsV

Timeline…

2020: shocks leaking and compressor died. Replaced both shocks with OEM and got a Dorman compressor.

2023: noticed compressor was not inflating when towing a boat. I could hear the solenoid click at the compressor, but then nothing. Got a warranty replacement compressor through rock auto. Installed the new compressor and everything worked fine. Now the day after I installed it, compressor doesn’t fire up when turning on the ignition and I don’t hear the solenoid click anymore at all. Checked all the fuses, all seem good. Only thing I haven’t checked is the relay because I just don’t think it would go bad in one day. Did my compressor crap out in one day? What would cause me to not hear that solenoid anymore? Help is appreciated, I’ve got 227k miles on this baby and plan to keep her forever but I’ve about had it with this air suspension bs.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The compressor only turns on for a selfcheck periodically. It should turn on however if you have a sufficient load on.

OP
OP
gunslinger

gunslinger

Reaction score
The compressor only turns on for a selfcheck periodically. It should turn on however if you have a sufficient load on.
My understanding is that it should turn on within 30 seconds every time you turn the ignition on. Should click on for only about five seconds.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there has to be sufficient time in between key cycles for it to self test. It won't on consecutive key cycles if I am correct.

But also to note as stated above, put some weight on the ass and see if it changes anything. I'd wager that you got a dud pump if you don't even hear a click and the rest checks out. If you plan on keeping it forever, maybe get an OEM one, or a pump off a wrecked newer truck.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard lots of back and forth with the dorman replacement compressors. Some have gone through multiple compressors and some have only had to replace it once. I’m in the second category. Replaced all my Z55 suspension components, I believe sometime in 2018 and my dorman compressor hasn’t given me a single issue. I believe the components were replaced my rig somewhere right around 100k mark on my 2006 and I’ve put 88k on the truck since then and thankfully it’s been trouble free with all the shocks and the compressor. I’ve also heard the same thing about the arnott industries compressors as well. Some people swear by them and some have had multiple failures with that unit.

It’s entirely possible that you got a bad replacement pump but it could also be the relay. I’d check to make sure the relay is good before throwing another compressor on it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The pumps usually go silent when they die. If you have new shocks and a Re-replaced pump, load up the rear and see if the pump comes on.

The normal procedure is to hook up a $349 tech2 clone and command the pump to come on. Then it gets the DTC from anything failing. I assume you got Arnott or GM replacement z95. With the lifetime guarantee on pump & struts you’re off the hook for further costs. I’d look not the tech2 now or the preloved Win 10 laptop Chinacardiag.com sells with emulation software installed and also allows software updates.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The pumps usually go silent when they die. If you have new shocks and a Re-replaced pump, load up the rear and see if the pump comes on.

The normal procedure is to hook up a $349 tech2 clone and command the pump to come on. Then it gets the DTC from anything failing. I assume you got Arnott or GM replacement z95. With the lifetime guarantee on pump & struts you’re off the hook for further costs. I’d look not the tech2 now or the preloved Win 10 laptop Chinacardiag.com sells with emulation software installed and also allows software updates.
I will add to this. Before you command the pump on command the vent open and drop the pressure. Then, command the pump on or start the truck. Should run then.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it should turn on within 30 seconds every time you turn the ignition on. Should click on for only about five seconds.
I have a Dorman compressor in my 2007 and it does *not* perform a self-test after each start but it works great when the rear end gets loaded up. I've read that it's because the rear suspension needs a calibration step done with a Tech 2 but I haven't bothered because it's working when I need it to. No need for a self-test at each startup, IMHO. It'll just wear the pump out faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019