I'm about done...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thanks Fless! @NickTransmissions , do you think that he could have put something back together incorrectly? We checked the levels right before the trip and it was just fine.
Hard to say…Something is causing an overpressure condition at higher rpm/road speed. Have you contacted the shop/builder about the issue? If so, what did he say?

OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I did contact him and he said he didn't do anything wrong. I wouldn't take it back to him anyway, he broke a manifold stud when he was replacing the exhaust, didn't tell me and I had an exhaust leak. He then tried to cover it up saying it was already broken, then said it was cheap metal, that's why it was broken. My mechanic was blown away by the way he left the vehicle when he was finished.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The manifold stud can be closed using clamps that you can find at RA that are made by Dorman and SKP, unless of course it is already fixed.

Reaction score
I did contact him and he said he didn't do anything wrong. I wouldn't take it back to him anyway, he broke a manifold stud when he was replacing the exhaust, didn't tell me and I had an exhaust leak. He then tried to cover it up saying it was already broken, then said it was cheap metal, that's why it was broken. My mechanic was blown away by the way he left the vehicle when he was finished.
That sucks, guy shouldn’t be working on anyone’s vehicle or parts for any reason.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level after driving? Just a wild guess but wondering if trans fluid is leaking into the tcase causing it to belch some out the vent but looks normal once you check it afterwards. Again, wild ass guess to be honest…

Reaction score
They’re not supposed to but it can happen if the rear seal in the trans is leaking.
The 6L series transmissions and 4L80e have a rear case seal however the 4L60e/700r4s don’t, interestingly enough. The 4l60e and 700r4 rear output is mostly sealed off via the rear case bushing (a sealing bushing as opposed to a lubrication bushing) and rear planetary ring gear hub’s journal but excessive fluid can leak past and into the extension housing/trans-tcase adapter if that bushing is excessively worn. The extension housing/adapter takes a square cut rubber seal on the perimeter and there is a seal on the t-case side that prevents fluid transfer but if it’s also worn, transfer can occur. That bushing, along with all the others should have been replaced when the transmission was rebuilt (not saying it was or wasn’t, have no idea in this particular case)

6l80e
61793700-43F2-4E96-A770-549BCAD0C273.jpeg
4l80e
4612550B-6E6B-4C9C-AC29-CE60B4C7FA7C.jpeg
4L60e (bushing removed, new bushing not yet installed)
A1EEA2AD-49CA-4A49-BE51-83B350B789F2.jpeg