Ignition System Destroyed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice clean looking truck. Low miles?

It's unusual for car thieves to disable a vehicle they are trying to steal. Hope everything works out and you have better luck.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score

It's unusual for car thieves to disable a vehicle they are trying to steal. Hope everything works out and you have better luck.

Ya fairly low miles...220k. It was my full time rig until I got into the pool cleaning business...then my work truck became full time. Since then this has been my weekend fun rig. Early in my marriage my wife tried getting me to sell it...but no way in hell.

This whole thing is telling me now that I need to add some security. All it takes is one lowlife thief take it away.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

I'm sorry to read that people tried to steal your truck.

One suggestion for future theft deterrence is to install a simple on-off toggle switch under your dashboard, but easy to reach if you know that it exists, and tie it in series into the wire that triggers the starter motor.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually.... when it’s a crackhead looking for quick cash or a kid looking for a joyride.... and they have no idea what they are doing....I had a 79 Monte Carlo.... nothing special but it was in the right spot at the right time....down in the Bronx, last stop on the 1&9 train all the crackheads rode the train until they got kicked off there. My car happened to be parked around the corner and it looked like an opportunity for them... they pulled the window out on the passenger side, got their skinny little hand in and unlocked it, broke the steering column to get to the linkage that actually started it when you turned the key... very easy on those columns... but they messed it up so bad they couldnt start it.... I had change in the ashtray, took the ashtray with change and left my kenwood....( back in the late 80’s)...then locked it up when they left.... lol. I get to my car and unlock the door get in and try to start it then realized things are a mess in there...funny thing is I almost got arrested because the column was all jacked up I got under the dash on my back to Hotwire it.... yeah cops from the 50th precinct(The real 5-0) were driving around and saw me under the dash by the time I started it they had me spread eagle on the hood.... as I’m explaining it’s my car....and why I’m hotwiring it and HOW I know how to do it.... lol... ahh good times good times...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've had my '95 2DR Tahoe for 20 years and just had it broken into and an attempt to steal it. The sleezeball tried to use a giant screwdriver ( I know cuz he left it on the seat) to jam start the cylinder lock. Thankfully, he failed to get it started (due to my battery being dead). Needless to say the cylinder lock, cylinder lock housing and ignition switch were all destroyed.

Thankfully, I don't think this model year had any of the theft deterrent ignition systems(ie. PASSKEY/PASSlock) ....so i don't need to tackle those.

But, has anyone attempted to replace all these components? Do I need to remove the steering wheel?

View attachment 254876

Keep the old column as a spare, you'll probably need it and yes, it has to come apart to rebuild it. Put in a fuel pump kill switch.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Actually.... when it’s a crackhead looking for quick cash or a kid looking for a joyride.... and they have no idea what they are doing....I had a 79 Monte Carlo.... nothing special but it was in the right spot at the right time....down in the Bronx, last stop on the 1&9 train all the crackheads rode the train until they got kicked off there. My car happened to be parked around the corner and it looked like an opportunity for them... they pulled the window out on the passenger side, got their skinny little hand in and unlocked it, broke the steering column to get to the linkage that actually started it when you turned the key... very easy on those columns... but they messed it up so bad they couldnt start it.... I had change in the ashtray, took the ashtray with change and left my kenwood....( back in the late 80’s)...then locked it up when they left.... lol. I get to my car and unlock the door get in and try to start it then realized things are a mess in there...funny thing is I almost got arrested because the column was all jacked up I got under the dash on my back to Hotwire it.... yeah cops from the 50th precinct(The real 5-0) were driving around and saw me under the dash by the time I started it they had me spread eagle on the hood.... as I’m explaining it’s my car....and why I’m hotwiring it and HOW I know how to do it.... lol... ahh good times good times...
I once I had to steal my own Camaro. It was an 85 Z28 with a tilt column. So damn easy to steal back then.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cylinder lock is thrashed...the cylinder lock housing and ignition switch are damaged.

Okay replacing the column it is. Sounds more fun than replacing the tedious ignition components.

Afterwards, I’m gonna put a visible lock on the steering wheel and install wheel lock nuts. Gotta protect my T-hoe from scum....Thanks for the help.
wheel locks don't work they can be defeated quickly.. with a socket or welding a nut to it. the best way is to use 150 ft lb torque to the lugs... I did that on my old impala even the AAA guy need a 15ft breaker bar and two people to get the tire off.. took us about 10min to get the 5 lugs off..

even putting some U locks (Kryptonite brand) (preferably the NY edition) on the rims will block them out... ignition relays and stuff like that (most likely will not be carrying such) to disable the suv

don't feel too bad i had a cat burglar in my SUV that entered from the Sunroof:grumpycat:
the cat did not take anything but left it's paw prints behind
I'm just wondering how it knew i left it open... since there was only two sets of paw prints
one coming and one going
i just glad it did not use it as a litter box..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018