Ignition System Destroyed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've had my '95 2DR Tahoe for 20 years and just had it broken into and an attempt to steal it. The sleezeball tried to use a giant screwdriver ( I know cuz he left it on the seat) to jam start the cylinder lock. Thankfully, he failed to get it started (due to my battery being dead). Needless to say the cylinder lock, cylinder lock housing and ignition switch were all destroyed.

Thankfully, I don't think this model year had any of the theft deterrent ignition systems(ie. PASSKEY/PASSlock) ....so i don't need to tackle those.

But, has anyone attempted to replace all these components? Do I need to remove the steering wheel?

Tahoe.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon. More pics of the rig please.

Second: How about just putting in a used column?

Third:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that scumbag trying to steal your Hoe, hopefully he cut himself really good trying to steal it. X2 on the used column. Overall it'll be cheaper. Just make sure you get a key for the ignition if you can.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. That sh*t sucks.
This happened to me also. They try to remove the cylinder as then they can start it with the big screwdriver. Behind the cylinder at the back there's a slot in the plastic that turns the ignition switch. I didn't get damage to the housing though and the cylinder was out. I came back with my dog while they were still trying to steal mine. I saw them jump into a car and drive off quick but I didn't know what was going on until I got closer up the street. The truck was running and I was lucky I didn't lose it that day.

If you can get the cylinder out you will at least be able to start the truck if the ignition switch isn't completely toast. Mine's given me some problems since but I'm still using the same cylinder.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that scumbag trying to steal your Hoe, hopefully he cut himself really good trying to steal it. X2 on the used column. Overall it'll be cheaper. Just make sure you get a key for the ignition if you can.

X3 on the column

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
The cylinder lock is thrashed...the cylinder lock housing and ignition switch are damaged.

Okay replacing the column it is. Sounds more fun than replacing the tedious ignition components.

Afterwards, I’m gonna put a visible lock on the steering wheel and install wheel lock nuts. Gotta protect my T-hoe from scum....Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just make sure you get the right one and as many keys as possible with that ignition tumbler. Make sure you turn each key in the tumbler.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The cylinder lock is thrashed...the cylinder lock housing and ignition switch are damaged.

Okay replacing the column it is. Sounds more fun than replacing the tedious ignition components.

Afterwards, I’m gonna put a visible lock on the steering wheel and install wheel lock nuts. Gotta protect my T-hoe from scum....Thanks for the help.
Also--the weakest point on one of those steering wheel locks us the thin rimmed steering wheel itself. It literally takes 10 secs to cut through the wheel with a hacksaw blade. Maybe one of those locks or plates that locks the brake pedal in place--along with a flashing alarm light--maybe the scumbags will move on once seeing that.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
Just make sure you get the right one and as many keys as possible with that ignition tumbler. Make sure you turn each key in the tumbler.
The truth is I was thinking of getting a rebuilt column with keys included. It’s more expensive but I can trust it’s reliability and fit.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
Also--the weakest point on one of those steering wheel locks us the thin rimmed steering wheel itself. It literally takes 10 secs to cut through the wheel with a hacksaw blade. Maybe one of those locks or plates that locks the brake pedal in place--along with a flashing alarm light--maybe the scumbags will move on once seeing that.
Ya I’ll look into deterrents. Anything to deter a lowlife thief. I like the alarm light idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts