Idiots Are Everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ya man. Like anything else, one faulty part in a rebuild can cause a headache. Hell i did a 370 Lima big block Ford years ago for my uncle. Had all the machine work done by a friend that does 1000+ hp dragster engines so i knew that would be right.
I told my uncle i would prefer him ordering a gasket kit from Summit for a 460 as those are built more often and a kit for a 370 has probably been on the shelves for a bit. Nope, oriellys has it cheaper.
Got it all back together and in the F800... and it was ******* oil, like half a quart a minute. Rear main was stiff and not sealing. Ordered a rear main from summit, replaced all good.
Yeah I get how you can have new bad parts, I've had a few myself. Mostly electric though. Just feeling the "why me" right? What's really concerning is there's three guys in a transmission shop all scratching their heads to the point the owner's on the phone to his suppliers technical hotline. I'm afraid it's going to be there for a long time and they're just going to start throwing parts at it. I feel sorry for the guy because he's already lost his a** on it. I'm grasping at ideas too and now wondering if it could be planetary orbit that only wobbles when warm. No idea really. If the guy wanted to minimize his losses he should just throw another unit in it.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I've gotten similar service, even today! These millennials are like creatures from another planet. They don't think like Americans, don't act it, can't form complete sentences, etc. Generally speaking of course! I recently wanted some work done to my truck that had to be taken in, wrote down the instructions and even had my wife and kids read it over and they said it was good. Do you think they followed them to the letter? Nope! They were not even aware that they got it wrong.
Millennials aren’t the problem. Sure there are several that do contribute to several issues we face in society. The problem the auto industry faces is the lack of focus on vocational and trade school programs at a high school level. Sure folks can go to community college(tech school) thereafter but so many don’t look that direction because they were never exposed to it. That is one reason we have retirement age techs carrying the industry with nobody to replace. More of a systematic issue than generational issue. The automotive industry has also been undervalued in public eye for long that entry level wages in the industry are some of the lowest and haven’t kept up with inflation since at least the early 2000s. You combine all that with big business buying up independent dealers, independent parts suppliers, and independent repair/collision centers and that has also contributed to good people regardless of age leaving the industry. Nobody wants to work for peanuts. Honestly can anyone expect any different from $8/hr help in the current world we live in? Everyone has to start somewhere and I get that, but young adults coming into industry can’t even pay rent with wages much less invest in tools and education. Take it from me, several businesses out there place no value in tech training, and that’s why they always have a revolving technician door at their business. I can appreciate some of the older crowds sentiments, as every generation thinks the following is worse off. However, several responses in this thread are simply ignorant. Especially considering the combined age and “experience” some of these commenters have, they should know better than to just use a particular group as a whipping post when the true issues are much more than that. For the record, I’m a millennial I grew up blue collar. I have been working 40 plus hr weeks in paper since the age of sixteen. Prior to that was farm work as a child. I have a bachelors degree and over 40 industry specific certifications. Guys in your primes, there are still millennials who could work circles around you. Take your outdated opinions somewhere else or at least try and educate yourselves before you talk out of your backend.

In regards to the OP problem, I’m glad it’s back at shop and hopefully it returns right as rain. The most sensible thing would be to take it back and let them fix especially considering all variables.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Millennials aren’t the problem. Sure there are several that do contribute to several issues we face in society. The problem the auto industry faces is the lack of focus on vocational and trade school programs at a high school level. Sure folks can go to community college(tech school) thereafter but so many don’t look that direction because they were never exposed to it. That is one reason we have retirement age techs carrying the industry with nobody to replace. More of a systematic issue than generational issue. The automotive industry has also been undervalued in public eye for long that entry level wages in the industry are some of the lowest and haven’t kept up with inflation since at least the early 2000s. You combine all that with big business buying up independent dealers, independent parts suppliers, and independent repair/collision centers and that has also contributed to good people regardless of age leaving the industry. Nobody wants to work for peanuts. Honestly can anyone expect any different from $8/hr help in the current world we live in? Everyone has to start somewhere and I get that, but young adults coming into industry can’t even pay rent with wages much less invest in tools and education. Take it from me, several businesses out there place no value in tech training, and that’s why they always have a revolving technician door at their business. I can appreciate some of the older crowds sentiments, as every generation thinks the following is worse off. However, several responses in this thread are simply ignorant. Especially considering the combined age and “experience” some of these commenters have, they should know better than to just use a particular group as a whipping post when the true issues are much more than that. For the record, I’m a millennial I grew up blue collar. I have been working 40 plus hr weeks in paper since the age of sixteen. Prior to that was farm work as a child. I have a bachelors degree and over 40 industry specific certifications. Guys in your primes, there are still millennials who could work circles around you. Take your outdated opinions somewhere else or at least try and educate yourselves before you talk out of your backend.

In regards to the OP problem, I’m glad it’s back at shop and hopefully it returns right as rain. The most sensible thing would be to take it back and let them fix especially considering all variables.
This is an accurate statement. My experience as a late Gen-X matches this. I was working on the side in grade school and a good small engine mechanic in middle school. I was on my way to being a good auto mechanic but there was no program at school for that or industrial arts like machining or welding. When I did land the opportunity to be a auto tech I was on flat rate with no base pay and when it got slow I sat on my tool box all day not getting paid. I changed careers. Too bad, I could have been a good tech.
The local high school now has auto shop and industrial classes and so much more. My kids are lucky and my daughter is stoked and wants to take those classes.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think it is as generational as it seems, it seems to be more societal. the gimmie and i deserve, am entitled ect. just so happens that it falls in line with the typical perceived millennial mindset, but as the generation younger than them is the same or worse, it is more widespread than just one group.

for that matter i dont even know what to consider myself i was born in 1980 and relate to the gen-x more than millennial for sure. but i dont really feel like that is the ''proper" fit either, there is a very small window in between the two that really dont fit either. but i usually opt for the x just because it is way closer to my mindset.

as for the truck, sucks that it is in that condition, but i would have to say that it means something that he was/is trying to get/make it all correct.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get how you can have new bad parts, I've had a few myself. Mostly electric though. Just feeling the "why me" right? What's really concerning is there's three guys in a transmission shop all scratching their heads to the point the owner's on the phone to his suppliers technical hotline. I'm afraid it's going to be there for a long time and they're just going to start throwing parts at it. I feel sorry for the guy because he's already lost his a** on it. I'm grasping at ideas too and now wondering if it could be planetary orbit that only wobbles when warm. No idea really. If the guy wanted to minimize his losses he should just throw another unit in it.
I rarely say this, but dealer. If you continue to have issues, GM offers 3yr/100k warranty on their prebuilt units. Just swap your core. Unless you have the upmost trust in the builder, the GM reman route is the best alternative for 4L60Es in my opinion. They are not necessarily hard to build, but no local builder can compete with that GM warranty. Keep in mind, if there is a failure with the GM unit, it has to go back to a dealer for diag. It doesn’t have to be installed by a dealer or pro shop per se, but a dealer tech has to diag the problems for GM to pay warranty on it. Thankfully most dealers still have at least one good drivetrain and diag guy to nail problems down, but more than likely that guy won’t be performing the labor thereafter.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely say this, but dealer. If you continue to have issues, GM offers 3yr/100k warranty on their prebuilt units. Just swap your core. Unless you have the upmost trust in the builder, the GM reman route is the best alternative for 4L60Es in my opinion. They are not necessarily hard to build, but no local builder can compete with that GM warranty. Keep in mind, if there is a failure with the GM unit, it has to go back to a dealer for diag. It doesn’t have to be installed by a dealer or pro shop per se, but a dealer tech has to diag the problems for GM to pay warranty on it. Thankfully most dealers still have at least one good drivetrain and diag guy to nail problems down, but more than likely that guy won’t be performing the labor thereafter.
If I could have afforded a GM Dealer transmission in the first place, I wouldn't be in this situation.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I could have afforded a GM Dealer transmission in the first place, I wouldn't be in this situation.
Two years ago I bought a reman 4L60e from a local dealer for less than $1700 with the 36 month/100k with exchange. Granted I performed labor myself and saved on labor, but I’d be willing to bet you’ve got that much or more in the current build. It was more of a suggestion for the shop you are working with rather than a condescending notion of telling you what you should have done to start with. I’ve been where you are at before and it’s not fun hence the suggestion I provided initially. This type of work is expensive no matter how you slice it. Due to the failure rates 60E’s are known to have, most local transmission rebuilders around me quote and sell GM units to start with vs building in house so the headache and come back isn’t their problem as is the case here. Again, I simply made the suggestion because if said shop can’t make yours right. I pinch pennies on repairs myself hence the reason I still drive a 2000 and 2002 vehicle

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I bought a reman 4L60e from a local dealer for less than $1700 with the 36 month/100k with exchange. Granted I performed labor myself and saved on labor, but I’d be willing to bet you’ve got that much or more in the current build. It was more of a suggestion for the shop you are working with rather than a condescending notion of telling you what you should have done to start with. I’ve been where you are at before and it’s not fun hence the suggestion I provided initially. This type of work is expensive no matter how you slice it. Due to the failure rates 60E’s are known to have, most local transmission rebuilders around me quote and sell GM units to start with vs building in house so the headache and come back isn’t their problem as is the case here. Again, I simply made the suggestion because if said shop can’t make yours right. I pinch pennies on repairs myself hence the reason I still drive a 2000 and 2002 vehicle
Well hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I called around to probably 20 shops including the local dealership and was quoted in the $4500 to $5300 range. I chose this guy because I'm unable to R&R a transmission on the ground at my age with my physical restrictions. He has glowing reviews and has been in business for decades. $2000 was all I could come up with. Whatever the problem is I don't think he's encountered before. So all I can do is keep my fingers crossed at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo