I think I f***ed up big time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I helped my uncle out this morning by towing his pos F150 about 50 miles into town, now my truck shifts gears a lot harder than it used to. The 1-2 shift is way harder than normal and the 2-3 shift is kinda hard too. Any ideas? I'm thinking I should plan on a transmission rebuild in the near future.

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told some of the newer trans, meaning electronic controlled trans will change the shifts do to driving conditions. so maybe drive it for a few days how you normally do and see if it goes back. The computer may have sense more load and made harder shifts for the towing????

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your SES light on? Mine has hard 1 -2 shifts after driving for about 30min to an hour. Its throwing a P1870 code which I guess is "Excessive Transmission Component Slippage" or something like that. Has to do with accumulators in the valve body getting worn out and letting fluid slip through. The computer goes into "limp mode" and firms up the shift to compensate.

You'd probably be safe just to rebuild your valve body. Unless your itching to rebuild the whole tranny, that is.....

LazyAssLou

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, drive it for a few days, it will go back to normal. Same thing happened to me when I towed my Lincoln Mark VI for 297 miles. Everything was good on the tow to the house but once I got everything unhooked it wouldn't drive right until a few days after.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say 'hard' do you mean a "clunk","bang",or much "firmer" shifts like a shift kit would have?

If you go for a rebuild try and have a Corvette servo installed just for sh*ts :D

OP
OP
R

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes, it doesn't slip, no clunk or bang. The only noise is a little rattle in the dash when it slams into second gear lol.

wpnzrule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 does the same after pulling a pretty heavy load, but then shifts back after a day or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz