I need TPMS Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a buddy mechanic or even a shop that is generous enough, they should have a sensor that can read tpms frequencies and determine which sensor(s) are bad and which ones are good. Did that when i first bought mine and assumed two were bad, got it scanned to find out only one was bad.
I think I know which are bad...

Winter wheels: the one I tried learning numerous times that wouldn't learn.

Summer wheels: the 2 on the left... any time I get the svc tpms error msg I use the DIC to check which ones aren't working and the FL & RL are always the culprits that missed a transmission (pressure just shows as "---"). Either way, I'll just replace them... and see if I can dissect the old ones to see how hard a battery replacement would be.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace several TPMS sensors. I learned the hard way that some were not compatible or didn't work out of the box. I rigged up a test tube made of PVC pipe, end caps, and a Schrader valve. I put the new sensor in the tube (valve stem isn't necessary for testing), then pressure up the tube to about 30 PSI. I have a learning tool and use it to calibrate the new sensor to the vehicle. When finished, I throw the sensor in the console and drive it for a day or two. If it still works, then I take the vehicle to the gas station and have them swap the new sensor with the bad one.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace several TPMS sensors. I learned the hard way that some were not compatible or didn't work out of the box. I rigged up a test tube made of PVC pipe, end caps, and a Schrader valve. I put the new sensor in the tube (valve stem isn't necessary for testing), then pressure up the tube to about 30 PSI. I have a learning tool and use it to calibrate the new sensor to the vehicle. When finished, I throw the sensor in the console and drive it for a day or two. If it still works, then I take the vehicle to the gas station and have them swap the new sensor with the bad one.
Have you figured out how to activate brand new sensors? I have some I bought for my 08 and made a pvc tube but later found out they come in sleep mode and the service manual says they need to spin at 20 mph minimum for 10 seconds in order to open their internal switches so they become active. Plus I get conflicting info on whether Nnbs sensors work on nbs vehicles even though the frequency is the same. I just want to leave them in a pvc tube, pressurized ,if I can get them to work.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you figured out how to activate brand new sensors? I have some I bought for my 08 and made a pvc tube but later found out they come in sleep mode and the service manual says they need to spin at 20 mph minimum for 10 seconds in order to open their internal switches so they become active. Plus I get conflicting info on whether Nnbs sensors work on nbs vehicles even though the frequency is the same. I just want to leave them in a pvc tube, pressurized ,if I can get them to work.
I picked up Denso 550-2402 which is made as a drop in replacement for the OEM 05-06 sensors. They really were drop-in; put tires on and synced them up just like the OEM sensors.

Many companies make "universal sensors". Those have to be programmed to initialize before they can be synced. Usually the tool to program them is cost-prohibitive for diy.

ETA, I forgot to mention that I tore into a sensor to gauge battery replacement difficulties. It's not too bad...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up Denso 550-2402 which is made as a drop in replacement for the OEM 05-06 sensors. They really were drop-in; put tires on and synced them up just like the OEM sensors.

Many companies make "universal sensors". Those have to be programmed to initialize before they can be synced. Usually the tool to program them is cost-prohibitive for diy.

ETA, I forgot to mention that I tore into a sensor to gauge battery replacement difficulties. It's not too bad...
Mine are AC Delco. I guess they need to be spun. I’m just gonna wait until I swap tires on the Silvy over to the new rims, and the new sensors will go on the new rims. Then I can try the old sensors on the Tahoe.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are AC Delco. I guess they need to be spun. I’m just gonna wait until I swap tires on the Silvy over to the new rims, and the new sensors will go on the new rims. Then I can try the old sensors on the Tahoe.
I would be tempted to try to activate them some other way to be sure they work... nothing worse that putting them in, putting the new tires on and finding out they don't work...

I've never installed a new OEM so I don't know much about activating them.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be tempted to try to activate them some other way to be sure they work... nothing worse that putting them in, putting the new tires on and finding out they don't work...

I've never installed a new OEM so I don't know much about activating them.
They’re brand new AC Delco and the correct part # for the truck. I’m not worried.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that. However, the ones that didn't work were mounted on the vehicle and driven for a couple of days. All the ones I put in the tube did work before mounting on the wheels. All GM part numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts