I need tips for dropping the rear only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
Are you at stock height? Four inches seems like too much. At the very least, if you are trying to level it out, make sure you measure your fender to ground distance. Fender down through the center of the wheel to the level ground for all four. Ideally you want to do it when you are near empty of fuel, then again with a full tank, and as much weight as you might possibly have inside, (or a rough equivalent if you tow). This will at least tell you how much you need to drop to level it out.

If you have already done this or are trying to look at the sky, then don't read the first part of this post.

and yeah you will need new shocks or shock extenders too. If you don't change the shocks too, you will be riding around with your shocks already compressed 3-4 inches. You would blow out your shocks quickly, but that wouldn't matter much because you would probably have about 1-2" of travel before you bottom them out. With them already partially compressed, instead of bottoming out when you hit a speed bump at good speed, you would bottom out when you hit a seam between concrete. Drop shocks will give you less suspension travel. Shock relocation brackets/shock extenders will let you keep your full suspension travel, (and should work on your current shocks), which means not buying new shocks if yours are good.
You think I would need to upgrade shocks and springs if I just bolt in a 3 inch shackle drop kit for the rear? Been thinking about just bolting on a longer set of shackles

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Belltech drop coils for the rear for sale. Do you know what kind of rear shocks you have?

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
:hahano:

Edit to add: OP, your Tahoe doesn’t have leaf springs/shackles.
it doesn't? Then ig I'd just go with new springs LOL. Can anyone refer me to a set of new shocks to use with a set of 3 inch drop springs for the rear? Learning as I go with this truck, and I've never worked with suspension before .

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it doesn't? Then ig I'd just go with new springs LOL. Can anyone refer me to a set of new shocks to use with a set of 3 inch drop springs for the rear? Learning as I go with this truck, and I've never worked with suspension before .

Do you need new shocks? If not, then you can get shock extenders. They lower the mounting point of the shock 3" so they are a perfect compliment for 3" drop coils. They're much cheaper than new/shorter shocks. If you need new shocks and want some shorter ones, Belltech Street Performance seem to be the go-to for these. Bilstein makes a top-quality shock, but I don't know if they have any offerings for a ~3" shorter version for our rigs.

In the case of needing new shocks and wanting good ones, you can get the Bilstein direct replacements for a stock Tahoe and run them with extenders so they'll fit and function as if the Tahoe isn't lowered.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
Do you need new shocks? If not, then you can get shock extenders. They lower the mounting point of the shock 3" so they are a perfect compliment for 3" drop coils. They're much cheaper than new/shorter shocks. If you need new shocks and want some shorter ones, Belltech Street Performance seem to be the go-to for these. Bilstein makes a top-quality shock, but I don't know if they have any offerings for a ~3" shorter version for our rigs.

In the case of needing new shocks and wanting good ones, you can get the Bilstein direct replacements for a stock Tahoe and run them with extenders so they'll fit and function as if the Tahoe isn't lowered.
I'm gonna do a full check on my suspension soon to make sure nothing's trashed in there, if my shocks are good ill probably go with a set of crown springs and some extenders.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score

are the shiock extenders you are talking about the belltech 6651 extensions?