I need tips for dropping the rear only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I own an 05 LT 2wd Tahoe and I run 31 inch tires on stock rims with 3 inch spacers. I want to drop the rear only because with the spacers and I already rub the wheel wells in the front. I just want some tips. Would it be a good idea to buy only springs if I want to drop the rear 4 inches or would I need to upgrade other parts besides the springs. I'm also worried that I would rub my tires on my body when I go over bumps.. would that be likely to happen?

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
I own an 05 LT 2wd Tahoe and I run 31 inch tires on stock rims with 3 inch spacers. I want to drop the rear only because with the spacers and I already rub the wheel wells in the front. I just want some tips. Would it be a good idea to buy only springs if I want to drop the rear 4 inches or would I need to upgrade other parts besides the springs. I'm also worried that I would rub my tires on my body when I go over bumps.. would that be likely to happen?
I run stock height at the moment

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With a 4" rear drop, you're gonna need to remove the bumpstops and brackets from the frame ("free travel mod") and get ~4" shorter shocks or get shock extenders (what I would do).

If the tires stick out from under the fender, then yes, there's a really good chance the tires will hit the fender lips with a 4" drop. Without spacers, the tires are nearly tucking with a 4" drop.

BTW, I hope you don't drive very roughly or at highway speeds with 3" spacers. :eek:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you at stock height? Four inches seems like too much. At the very least, if you are trying to level it out, make sure you measure your fender to ground distance. Fender down through the center of the wheel to the level ground for all four. Ideally you want to do it when you are near empty of fuel, then again with a full tank, and as much weight as you might possibly have inside, (or a rough equivalent if you tow). This will at least tell you how much you need to drop to level it out.

If you have already done this or are trying to look at the sky, then don't read the first part of this post.

and yeah you will need new shocks or shock extenders too. If you don't change the shocks too, you will be riding around with your shocks already compressed 3-4 inches. You would blow out your shocks quickly, but that wouldn't matter much because you would probably have about 1-2" of travel before you bottom them out. With them already partially compressed, instead of bottoming out when you hit a speed bump at good speed, you would bottom out when you hit a seam between concrete. Drop shocks will give you less suspension travel. Shock relocation brackets/shock extenders will let you keep your full suspension travel, (and should work on your current shocks), which means not buying new shocks if yours are good.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried this with a 3” drop and the rear ended up too low. even when you measure like Justin said for some reason if the rear is even 1/2 inch lower (mine was) out back the truck looks like you’re pulling it trailer.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to squat it or just level?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He just wants to level the rear. I’d use 2” drop springs but I’m a little unclear on where the 3” spacers are. I’m guessing in front but there’ must be something in the back already. As you can tell I’m not a lift guy.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
He just wants to level the rear. I’d use 2” drop springs but I’m a little unclear on where the 3” spacers are. I’m guessing in front but there’ must be something in the back already. As you can tell I’m not a lift guy.
I got 3 inch wheel spacers. I like the idea of wide body styles and I'm looking to get a good like squat too stance it out.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
With a 4" rear drop, you're gonna need to remove the bumpstops and brackets from the frame ("free travel mod") and get ~4" shorter shocks or get shock extenders (what I would do).

If the tires stick out from under the fender, then yes, there's a really good chance the tires will hit the fender lips with a 4" drop. Without spacers, the tires are nearly tucking with a 4" drop.

BTW, I hope you don't drive very roughly or at highway speeds with 3" spacers. :eek:
I race with 3 inch spacers and I haven't had any problems. I checked to make sure they weren't coming off after a week of kinda stress testing em, they seem fine to me I just need an alignment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan