I need new ideas!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 tahoe 4x4 5.7. I just had this down at the shop to get a new transmission. While it was down there I asked that they try to figure out my starting issue I've had for over a year now. The issue is intermittent and doesn't come at any certain time. It can start for weeks on the first turn of the key, then just not start the next day. The fuel pump has been replaced, all fuses are good. The mechanics told me the spacer between the two connectors on the positive end of the battery wasn't allowing them to connect right. This seemed like bull because it was turning over, just not getting fuel. But when I picked it up yesterday, it started like a brand new car. Went out this morning, nothing. I do not hear the fuel pump turning on. What could this be?? What is connected to the fuel pump that can become disconnected. I made sure all connections were good last month when I put the new pump in. Thank for any help!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting power to the rest of the electrical systems, like headlights, interior lights and dash board when the no start happens? I'm guessing yes.

My rig had similar problems a few years ago. It ended up being the connector to the fuel pump. I tried spraying electrical cleaner in the connectors, no luck. Just an intermittent no starting like you are experiencing. The old connector didn't look bad in any way. I cut the old connector off and spliced a new one on and all is good. I'm curious if you had a new connector installed with your new fuel pump?

Also when I got the no start, I could reach up on top of the tank and wiggle the connects and get it to start. Pain in the ass but got me out of a bind a few times.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, so I have to drop the tank again? Haha. I've done this too many times and it is such a pain. I guess maybe if I lossen the straps around the tank, I may have enough room to check the connectors. So you replaced the connector itself?

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the fuel relay underneath the hood? In your fuse center, there's one for the fuel pump. If it isn't working correctly, your pump won't get power.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I changed the connector. I think I did it without dropping the tank all the way. Just lowered the tank as much as possible. I was able to crimp and heat shrink the new connector on. If I remember correctly, the connector was about 40-50 dollars at local parts stores. Crazy expensive for a connector. I would look around online. Amazon or rock auto.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuse must be good because it started yesterday after I put dielectric grease on both the connection at the tank and on the ffirewall beneath the brake booster. The connection was replaced when I last changed the pump. It started twice yesterday, this morning it did not start. Next step?

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be ignition switch related. My rig is currently doing this but it is so infrequent I forgot about it. Every now and again, its been several months since it last occurred, when I go to start, the motor will fire for about one second, then dies. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump doesn't sound when this is happening. I can usually get the truck to start by moving the tilt steering wheel around a bit. I've got this on the list of things to fix on the truck. Just been lazy about it lately.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We replaced ignition switch last year. I popped the hood and put some dielectric grease on the prongs of the fuse for the fuel pump. It's been working ever since. However, on my way to work this morning, the gas pedal stopped working. The engine kept running, but its like the fuel pump stopped letting the pedal control it. Any ideas on why it would just stop. It lasted maybe 5 sec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700