I/M Readiness WILL NOT set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's not just Chicago. It's also down in East St Louis. It's a STATE law, that's imposed in certain areas to meet FEDERAL regulations. Don't get me wrong, Chicago politics make me barf. But let's at least use facts.

The Federal Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. § 7511a) requires states to provide a plan to control air quality in any area that doesn't meet NAAQS standards for ozone IF their state as a whole doesn't meet FEDERAL air quality requirements. They can do that any number of ways. Vehicle emissions testing happens to be a fairly popular one nationwide (32 states). Some states, like Florida, meet the federal air requirements and don't HAVE to do anything, anywhere, if they don't want to. Others, like Massachusetts just blanket test statewide (ANY state, yes even Illinois :eek:, could do this if they wanted to).

The point is, it's ultimately a FEDERAL regulation that's being satisfied by state laws one way or another.

If enough people lived in Decatur, Illinois would have to come up with something to show Uncle Sam. Whether that be emmisions testing, requiring you to use an electric tractor, or limiting your herd. On the other hand, if Chicago didn't exist, IL would likely meet federal standards, and unicorns would fart rainbows over all the land.

For free, once every other year, I can manage to keep my CEL off. It's the "safety" inspection states that really have the racket going.
Are you kidding me? Have you been to Decatur, EVER? There is no way that city meets federal air quality standards. The town has ADM West and East plant as well as a Headquarters and Research building. Then there is Tate&Lyle (Formely AE Staley) which is much like ADM, then there is a large Caterpillar facility, PPG Ind. Glass manufacturing plant and there was the old Firestone tire factory which was home of the Ford Explorer tires exploding debacle. You cant breath in the east side of town and northeast as well and depending on which the wind blows varies the distance.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Have you been to Decatur, EVER? There is no way that city meets federal air quality standards. The town has ADM West and East plant as well as a Headquarters and Research building. Then there is Tate&Lyle (Formely AE Staley) which is much like ADM, then there is a large Caterpillar facility, PPG Ind. Glass manufacturing plant and there was the old Firestone tire factory which was home of the Ford Explorer tires exploding debacle. You cant breath in the east side of town and northeast as well and depending on which the wind blows varies the distance.

I have, in fact, been to Decatur. But that's beside the point. Again, let's at least use facts when we argue about stupid stuff.

You will notice that the "nonattainment" areas in Illinois are Chicago, Metro East St Louis, and what looks to be Peoria.

20191105_182910.jpg

20191105_182939.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tahoe Z26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
or don't, the 02 should set if you do what I mentioned above, the evap might take a few tries you will have to drive it and then let it sit and completely cool down then drive it again and warm it up then let it sit and cool down again the evap only operates when the temp is below a specific threshhold @swathdiver I think has the specific temp noted, it has to pass it's self test X amount of times to set. you should be able to pass with one open anyway

I drove down the highway for a little over a hour earlier today. When I got home I checked and still nothing has changed. Still no check engine light or codes and the same two (evap and cat) still aren’t ready. And yesterday I ended up getting pulled over right before I got to my kids preschool. The cop said my blinker wasn’t very bright then ran my plate and it showed expired. I explained to him my situation and told him the emissions testing place told me I just need to drive it more to get the readiness to set. I was very surprised he didn’t give me any tickets, not even for the not so bright turn signal.
It’s ridiculous that the IM readiness won’t become ready after all the driving and kinds of driving I’ve been doing. And I really don’t want to take it to a shop to get charged hundreds of dollars for something so stupid.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I drove down the highway for a little over a hour earlier today. When I got home I checked and still nothing has changed. Still no check engine light or codes and the same two (evap and cat) still aren’t ready. And yesterday I ended up getting pulled over right before I got to my kids preschool. The cop said my blinker wasn’t very bright then ran my plate and it showed expired. I explained to him my situation and told him the emissions testing place told me I just need to drive it more to get the readiness to set. I was very surprised he didn’t give me any tickets, not even for the not so bright turn signal.
It’s ridiculous that the IM readiness won’t become ready after all the driving and kinds of driving I’ve been doing. And I really don’t want to take it to a shop to get charged hundreds of dollars for something so stupid.

You said before that it was o2 and evap. I say keep going, carefully.
What happens if you just go and fail again?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

take the turn signal bulb out of the socket and clean the socket connectors up with a flat head screw driver or a small file or piece of sand paper and see if the bulb goes back to normal brightness, how old your battery? you might have a ground problem or a battery on it's last leg which could be part of the reason for the sensors not setting. what does the volt meter show? does it stay solid (like in the middle) or does it float around a bit.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was 6 months out i did not get a ticket or towed away (parking enforcement may ticket you though) they are pretty cool if you have valid insurance.. I just told them I only had enough money for one of them.. the insurance or tags.(was non op to prevent late fees)..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tahoe Z26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You said before that it was o2 and evap. I say keep going, carefully.
What happens if you just go and fail again?

I’m not sure. I was going to go to take the test again today but decided I will try driving it for a little more today and then go take it to get tested tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401