I/M Readiness WILL NOT set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe Z26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t know what to do.
I have a 2006 Tahoe 5.3.
I had a code for a large evap leak. I replaced the gas cap and I believe the vent valve solenoid. I cleared the light and drove for a couple days. Without checking with my own scanner before going I took my Tahoe to the emissions testing place and failed. They said there weren’t any codes but the I/M readiness was not set. The guy told me to drive for 80-100 miles and bring back in. I drove it for more than 100 miles and checked with my own scanner and it said 2 of the monitors still aren’t ready. I googled it and found something where you start the vehicle and let it idle with the ac and rear defroster on for 2.5 min, then drive it and get up to 55mph and hold that for 3 min then without braking slow to 20mph the go 55mph and hold for 5 min then coast to 20mph again. I just did that today and when I got home I checked with my scanner and still nothing has changed.
I just watched a YouTube video with some guy saying that he disconnected the battery for about 45 min and then just did normal driving for a couple days and all his monitors set. The guy at the emissions testing place told me not to disconnect the battery.
I really don’t know what to do. My plates just expired and it was kind of hard to do the drive cycle. There were too many people driving in front of me or behind me for me to do 55 and hold it and to coast from 55 down to 20.
Has anyone had this same problem??? I really do need some help so I can renew my plates.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what to do.
I have a 2006 Tahoe 5.3.
I had a code for a large evap leak. I replaced the gas cap and I believe the vent valve solenoid. I cleared the light and drove for a couple days. Without checking with my own scanner before going I took my Tahoe to the emissions testing place and failed. They said there weren’t any codes but the I/M readiness was not set. The guy told me to drive for 80-100 miles and bring back in. I drove it for more than 100 miles and checked with my own scanner and it said 2 of the monitors still aren’t ready. I googled it and found something where you start the vehicle and let it idle with the ac and rear defroster on for 2.5 min, then drive it and get up to 55mph and hold that for 3 min then without braking slow to 20mph the go 55mph and hold for 5 min then coast to 20mph again. I just did that today and when I got home I checked with my scanner and still nothing has changed.
I just watched a YouTube video with some guy saying that he disconnected the battery for about 45 min and then just did normal driving for a couple days and all his monitors set. The guy at the emissions testing place told me not to disconnect the battery.
I really don’t know what to do. My plates just expired and it was kind of hard to do the drive cycle. There were too many people driving in front of me or behind me for me to do 55 and hold it and to coast from 55 down to 20.
Has anyone had this same problem??? I really do need some help so I can renew my plates.
Don't disconnect the battery - that will set the monitors to "not ready". The drive cycle should work. Map out a route in advance and then drive it early in the morning so traffic won't delay you

OP
OP
T

Tahoe Z26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the drive cycle again this morning and also drove around quite a bit. When I got home I checked with my scanner and the same 2 monitors still say incomplete. I also scanned it and there aren’t any codes in it so I’m pretty sure there isn’t anymore leaks in the evap system. I really don’t want to bring it into a shop and get charged a ridiculous amount of money for something so stupid.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the drive cycle again this morning and also drove around quite a bit. When I got home I checked with my scanner and the same 2 monitors still say incomplete. I also scanned it and there aren’t any codes in it so I’m pretty sure there isn’t anymore leaks in the evap system. I really don’t want to bring it into a shop and get charged a ridiculous amount of money for something so stupid.
which ones?> are not complete?

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Which ones aren't ready? In illinois, you only need a certain number and maybe 2 specific ones or something goofy like that. I have passed without readiness.

Here is the Denali as it sits...
20191103_140542.jpg

Here is the Tahoe with a p0449 code...
20191103_140720.jpg

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same in Texas - you can pass with one monitor showing not ready.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also calling bs not be able to drive 55mph do it at night even in los angeles there is no traffic at 12 to 3am..

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is with 219 miles From FULL reset Battery disconnected (bought new battery)

It still Qualify to pass Smog in California we have the most strict policy on that stuff

No more P0069 so far :) :)

the one you want to look at is the EVAP_VP you will have to google the range value asi don't know

20191103_124321.jpg 20191103_124430.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19