Hz, watts, and metal double bass situation...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDP15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer mono d amp (600 watt) 1200 rms and im pushing a memphis PR10 sub 500 watt at 2 ohms. sounds good on gangsta rap and bass.. but I'd like to here the double bass on my death/heavy metal...? any suggestions?? Im at normal gain on my amp and have good sound to my bose factory.. please help. not sure about the Hz i should run.. amp is a 40-240 Hz adjustable yet i have it tuned low so i dont blow my sub....

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer mono d amp (600 watt) 1200 rms and im pushing a memphis PR10 sub 500 watt at 2 ohms. sounds good on gangsta rap and bass.. but I'd like to here the double bass on my death/heavy metal...? any suggestions?? Im at normal gain on my amp and have good sound to my bose factory.. please help. not sure about the Hz i should run.. amp is a 40-240 Hz adjustable yet i have it tuned low so i dont blow my sub....

none of that (watts/ohms/hz) has anything to really do with the sound between rap and metal music. That's the power you're putting to it. You can put 100 watts or 1000 watts to it and it would sound the same, just louder.

What kind of box do you have them in. What's the volume of the box? Sealed? Ported? Is the port round, rectangular? Where is the box mounted?

ds99thoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to get your levels set correctly. After that start with you xover at 80hz and go from there. It also sound like you could use more mid bass in the front end to give you more impact.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Also a sealed box sounds like it might be more what you are looking for.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bass you want to hear is in the 90-120hz range. If your amp is dialed in lower than that it is blocking those signals. The rap bass will still play but not as tight. Tune it to 95 and see how you like that. Go up 5 at a time from there if your not happy.

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me chime in here. There's a lot of things that come into play here. First thing is the stuff you are running. I LOVE Pioneer decks but hate their amps. Main issue is that any audio maker can say their amp can do 1,000,000 watts and they are true. It's in the details and what they mean. Low hertz frequency like that in most rap is very easy to replicate. You can usually get a low end amp and sub as long as its in a decent enclosure to sound good. Heavy Metal, especially those with fast drum beats are extremely difficult to get to sound right if the amp or sub is subpar (that's where you are at)

Now, you can still get it to sound a little better but I need to know what model amp and subs you have. Also, what enclosure are you running too. You may have to switch to a smaller sized ported box tuned at a higher hertz. The amp won't have to work so hard to move the subs around in a ported box.

OP
OP
JDP15

JDP15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its a sealed truck box a little bit over 1 cu. ft. i tuned up the Hz some and sounds better

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your sub the PR10S4V2????? If so, that Pioneer amp should run it OK but the sub calls for 0.75cf gross for enclosure size. Also, don't know anything about the enclosure. Is it store bought or home made? What material is it made from? If you don't have any inside it, you may want to put a little polyfill in the enclosure. It can help reduce odd resonances inside the enclosure. Still, that set up probably would sound better in a ported or better yet, 4th order band pass enclosure due to it's small wattage capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bone1