HVAC programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my 2015 Tahoe with the automatic climate control. When it is not in Auto mode, it still keeps acting like it is in auto. It will switch from outside air to recirc with no warning, and after I force it back to outside air a couple of times it will start creeping the fan speed up. When I change the fan speed back, the display will show that fan speed and recirc have auto written next to them for the split second it shows. What I'd like to do is change this so that when it is not in auto mode, none of it is in auto mode. Is there a way I can do this, like perhaps a maintenance mode I can access from the control panel?

MidnightRider

Reaction score
Someone with a comment will chime in soon but I wanted to say that I run both the Tahoe and Silverado on auto and never change it off unless someone else does and I don’t notice. I love it and think it does a far better job with temperature control and defrosting than I ever could.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When selecting Recirc in ours, the fan does speed up a little. The recirc actuator works but is faulty. After starting the truck, it either starts in Recirc or not and I press the Recirc button. Once the cabin gets to the Auto set temperature the Recirc light goes out and brings in fresh air. I usually press Recirc again and that is when the fan speeds up a little, especially on a hot day. My 2004 does behaves this way too but my 2006 did not.

We also like the Auto feature, set it and forget it for the most part.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the auto feature and never use it. I do not have that problem but there is no way to program it out, that I know of. Are you out of warranty? Sounds like a glitchy BCM.

OP
OP
V

Vimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought it out of warranty. After finding that every new GM I buy is a lemon, I no longer buy new GMs, or even used GMs from a GM dealer. When I have a warranty I expect them to fix my issues but what I get is runaround after runaround until I get pissed at the vehicle and trade it off. When I buy used, I usually have fewer problems than you would expect from a vehicle. It's not like I'm hard to please either, as I have bought new vehicles that never had a problem outside of normal wear/tear/maintenance issues for the entire time I owned them. I've come to prefer no warranty as a result, and would even like the dealers to offer an option where I pay less for a new car, and get no warranty at all because of it. When I have no warranty, I take it to my favorite mechanic who fixes the problems correctly, usually the first time, and never charges me for anything other than parts. Course, it would be pointless for me to charge myself for the labor... Unfortunately, since what I want to do here means I need a way to program the BCM, it's not something I can just do myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update - I took my Tahoe in for the steering and braking recalls, and had them look at the air conditioning. They said there was a software update to correct "hiccups" in the system. So far so good, I set it where I want it, not in auto, and it maintains my settings. Sadly, the weather immediately turned to winter so I won't know for sure until next summer if the problem has been solved. At any rate, if your HVAC is acting up, check with the dealer for the update. Cost for the update was an hour's shop time, about 150 bucks with tax. I really am in the wrong line of work...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157