Humming Noise when slowing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it can but also could be a sprag too. just keep trying to isolate it.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

i have actually had a similar noise for a few years now. but it is not doing any harm yet and no sign of growing worse. very quite in sound level too.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely new and getting worse. The sound was more noticeable on the way home. I will check out the wheels and drive train tonight.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I couldn't determine where the sound is coming from last night. No play in the wheels I took the the drive shaft off the diff and the part where the drive shaft connects to the diff has about 1/2 inch turning play in each direction. Is that normal? Anyway I am just going to take it to my mechanic to get it fixed. I will update with the solution. Thank you for the advice.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My u-joint went bad again and the brakes are toast in the back. I replaced the u-joint about a year ago with the 10 dollar one from Auto-zone, guess it didn't last. The u-joint is causing the vibration and the brakes caused the shudder when braking at the end.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i believe you need some moog 235 ujoint my man. best of the best of the best.

and try out some hefty raybestos or wagner shoes in the back if have not already after making sure hardware is good with no fluid leaks or out-of-round drums.

HPE_235.jpg

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good thanks. I didn't even think to check the u joint. Last time it went out it made screeching noises, nothing like this time.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note. My mechanic told me the flange on my rear axles is ever so slightly bent. He said it's still drive able but I need to keep an eye on it. Any recommendations on replacement axles? I looked up an article on wheel bearing replacement and it seems pretty straight forward to do this and the axles at the same time.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yukon axle shafts are good. randy's ring and pinions sells them. part # PA5532 i think. they replace the gm 26010416 iirc. other makers too but no idea on their quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667