Humming Noise when slowing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello-
This weekend I started to hear a humming noise when driving on the highway. It seems to happen when cruising and slowing down mostly, it definitely sounds rotational. It also cuts out sometimes but always comes back when slowing down. There seems to be a tiny bit of vibration in the car but its hard to say with this rig and the 6 inch lift and tires. No grinding noises or steering issues though. Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it sound hummy then you are likely looking for bearing or gear noises. and i mean gear as in diffy and tcase stuff. do the usual inspections and check for rotational play in your drivetrain and give all the wheel assemblies a good wiggle sideways and up 'n down. if it is a wheel bearing it should stand out easy with your tires setup. in fact the bigger the assemblies the sooner you catch play in the wheel bearings. remove any steering stab prior to testing the whole front end tho.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I will check out the wheels tonight, hopefully it is a bearing and not the T case or diff.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have drilled and/or slotted rotors?

I get a humming sound when I slow down pretty fast, and I narrowed it down to the rotors. I put a set on my wifes car and then heard the same exact sound, that's when I knew for sure it was the slotted rotors.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I don't, just regular oem style equipment. The noise just started yesterday so I am not sure I will be able to find out where the play is. Hopefully something gives it away. There are so many squeaks and groans with this truck that it's hard to pick up new sounds but I am pretty sure I have never heard this before. Do the rear bearings go out as much as the front? I remember when I replaced the shocks a few months ago the driver side hub was super rusty and the passenger side was in much better shape.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dylan-
If the noise happens when I let off the gas and slow down could it still be the pinion bearings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman