HUD not visible with polarized in some GM products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized something today.
In Denali's (21 and 23) I can't see the HUD with polarized shades on, ditto with the Ram / Jeep / Escalade.
But in the Corvette I can see it just fine.

What voodoo is the HUD in the vette using and how can we get that in the rest of the rigs?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got some Oakley and Maui Jim polarized sunglasses and it does work somewhat good if you have the brightness cranked up on the HUD in my ‘21 Tahoe.

The downside of cranking it up is when you’re wearing the glasses it’s a little on the bright side. I’ve gotten used to it though.

I’m not sure on the new Vette’s but on my older ‘07 Vette and my ‘06 Grand Prix it was the same tech as far as the HUD projection goes.

Polarizes glassss bend the light to give hr impression of clearer vision and the HUD doesn’t like that. With it cranked up though, it’s descent and usable (but not perfect especially if you look at it from an angle), but the same goes for my phone screen.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score

slupie

Reaction score
In Denali's (21 and 23) I can't see the HUD with polarized shades on, ditto with the Ram / Jeep / Escalade.

What voodoo is the HUD in the vette using and how can we get that in the rest of the rigs?
Rotate your head 90°, you'll be able to see the HUD in the Denali and won't in the Corvette. Now that's some VOODOO.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotate your head 90°, you'll be able to see the HUD in the Denali and won't in the Corvette. Now that's some VOODOO.

I assumed it was the direction of the polarization as well, it isn't.
When you turn your head 90 degree's, the corvette's hud is still visible but the color changes slightly but no change in brightness. In the rest the hud's become visible.

dmhscorpio

Reaction score

Pilots use Serengeti sunglasses to negate the polarization issue ...

dernals

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a '22 Tahoe with HUD and it's great even with my polarized Oakleys. I have a '23 2500 and I can't see it even with my shades off.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have Costa Polarized with glass lenses, I have to turn the brightness on the HUD to max to see it. But it is very clear when I do that, so maybe give that a try. The Vette maybe has the brightness all the way up by default?

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a '22 Tahoe with HUD and it's great even with my polarized Oakleys. I have a '23 2500 and I can't see it even with my shades off.
Funny you mention Oakleys. My 15 year old polarized Oakleys I can't see the HUD in the Yukon or the 2500. Wife bought me a replacement Oakleys 2 weeks ago, they say they are polarized, but I can see the HUD in both when wearing these, albeit the HUD has to be almost all the way up, but it is visible. My wife's sunglasses are polarized, she has never had an issue seeing the HUD with hers. I don't think all polarized lenses are created equally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali