How to remove rear vent cap appliques?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loki223

Reaction score
Yup, those lights a linked fit perfectly in the applique. But had to loan the denali to me sister for 2 weeks since "she needs a reliable vehicle to get her kids around" while her car is in the shop. Darn family wanting me to share things....So i have a pile of stuff for the denali to get installed once i get it back, these included in that. Should be getting the denali back next weekend so i'll be able to do my wiring and such then, and empty out some boxes that are taking up room in the garage
rtpcWSKaeI6xSic0RxpQXK4g=w716-h955-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

sbTi15x836ygQMGwcn6oAduQ=w716-h955-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Loki223

Reaction score
Going to be a bid before i do this project and the couple of other things i had planned for the Denali next weekend. Just lost all the parts, tools, and house necessary for this little project. Denali is safe though. Somehow my sister borrowing it saved it from damage, instead of causing it damage like i was thinking it would. Still going to do this though

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Going to be a bid before i do this project and the couple of other things i had planned for the Denali next weekend. Just lost all the parts, tools, and house necessary for this little project. Denali is safe though. Somehow my sister borrowing it saved it from damage, instead of causing it damage like i was thinking it would. Still going to do this though
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Loki223

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Yeah, but the good news is my sister didn't wreck the denali, or damage it to my knowledge. And she doesn't need it anymore. So at least that's good. I'll probably start ordering stuff for it again here soon because i know what i want to do with it. Just glad i got all the major issues fixed back when i still owned tools.

Loki223

Reaction score
So, i did manage to source new appliques, but now i'm trying to find some stop/turn/running light light strips that are 18" long to put into the appliques. I would prefer to keep them as red for stop/running light, and then amber for turn like the stock tails. But i feel like i might end up needing to swap out the stock tails that move everything to red so i can do this mod and make everything match. I know 18" long strips are perfectly sized for this, so i'll see what i can find.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So, i did manage to source new appliques, but now i'm trying to find some stop/turn/running light light strips that are 18" long to put into the appliques. I would prefer to keep them as red for stop/running light, and then amber for turn like the stock tails. But i feel like i might end up needing to swap out the stock tails that move everything to red so i can do this mod and make everything match. I know 18" long strips are perfectly sized for this, so i'll see what i can find.
How about those LED strip people use on pickups? They're usually mounted between the lower part of the tailgate and rear bumper. The ones I've seen light red when braking and amber when signaling to turn.

Loki223

Reaction score
How about those LED strip people use on pickups? They're usually mounted between the lower part of the tailgate and rear bumper. The ones I've seen light red when braking and amber when signaling to turn.

I can't seem to find one that is 18", and it needs to be a single row or it won't mount correctly, or at least how i want to mount them. I did find one that i thought was going to work, but surprise surprise, it ended up being a chinease special that didn't match the description. Only 1 showed up, and it progressive lights for the turn signal, so it doesn't work correctly. Was supposed to be 2 18" LED light strips for a left and right set up, but such is life. Still looking when i have time, i know i should be able to find something....

West Marine has a very good selection. Styles and lengths.....

I'll check 'em out. Might try and dig through superbrightLEDs as well and see if they have one that will work. But essentially i want a truck tailgate light bar, but 18" and red/red/amber with the reds in 2 differnt brightness for running lights vs stop.

If push comes to shove, i know i can get some red/red strips pretty easily. But if i do that i will want to replace the tail lights, and the ones i really like have been out of stock in the style i like. Just going to be one of those years i think. lol

Loki223

Reaction score
Slight update. Gave up trying to find a stop/turn/running light configured in red/amber/red. Ordered a new set of the strips i got before the fire took out my stock pile of parts. Also ordered new tail lights that are red/red LEDs instead of the red/amber the factory set up is. Should help modernize it a little. Hard part was finding a set i liked with a red fascia instead of black or chrome or black and chrome. Once the new parts arrive i'll wire everything up and get it updated. Here soon i'll buy the radio and backup camera set up again so i can have android auto and a backup camera on this too. My truck spoils me, so gotta make the denali spoil me too i guess

Loki223

Reaction score
So i will admit, those appliques are a bit of a PITA to pop on and off. GM did a heck of a job designed those , definitely not something that will accidently come off...even with only 1 bolt in them. I'll try and snap some night time pictures, but i used the following LED strips to add lighting in the vents

I didn't get them as perfect as i would've liked, but as the saying goes, that'll do pig. I'll snap some more pics tonight, also updated the tail lights to these

Definitely helps modernize the rear end of the Denali
IBTnHjgbo2oocgSlC_7Zvbg=w1219-h914-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

doHUylb-wpe8ijsamET55FA=w1219-h914-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz