Scanning the Amazon reviews, there were 3 things I identified people having a problem with:
- condensation in the housings
- poorly fitting or loose lower driver side housing, when securing it to the vehicle
- poor quality plastic, and sometimes breaking installation brackets during assembly
I intended to rectify these items in my installation. The reviews are right, the plastic is crap. Its brittle and cheap. If you’ve done work on a vehicle before though, you know not to force things if it doesnt fit right. Thats how things break. If you adhere to that practice, things will be fine.
Regarding the condensation in the lens, I found my housings to be sealed well, but I took no chances. Additional sealant was added in key areas.
Lower Headlight Housings
Some key notes:
There’s Goretex vents on both upper and lower housings, presumably to prevent condensation inside the lens. Cool.
The factory bulb holders fit fine into the switchback & DRL openings. They seemed a tad loose, so sealant was used on the bulb socket surface where it meets the lower housing. Taking no chances on water ingress.
The turn signal sockets took concentration to install correctly. After you push the turn signal socket into the lower housing, you turn the socket to secure it. On this housing, there is no turn stop, so turning the socket against the housing slowly tightens it, but a few degrees too far, and the socket is back to being loose. It takes a couple tries to get it to tighten correctly. To ensure the turn signal socket was secure, plenty of silicone was added around the socket to hold it in place. Important! Before sealing with silicone, test the turn signal. LEDs are polarity sensitive. If the turn signal doesn’t flash, you have to flip the 194 bulb in its socket. I made that mistake and should have known better. Check all the lights and make sure they work before sealing up the sockets with silicone. I also added silicone all the way around the lens but this may not be necessary.
Silicone was also added completely around the lens, to make sure there would be no leaks. To be fair, I did remove one of the lenses, and found it to be sealed quite well from the manufacturer. Black RTV all the way around. I could imagine leaks if the bulbs fit poorly and it wasn’t addressed. That would be user error.
Lower Housing Installation
The passenger side fit well, and installed similar to a factory housing. The driver side was another matter. There’s 3 main attachment points on the lower housing:
1. A flat tab that slides into a retainer. The tab is too short and pops out easily. Some modification is required,
2. locating dowels that slide into grooves. These were fine.
3. Latch that locks into a notch near the fender. This one is particularly troublesome. The latch is mounted at the wrong angle, and slips out of the locked position easily. The Amazon reviews mentioned this. Some modification is needed to keep the latch secure.
Item number 1, the mounting tab, is too short and pops out easily. Below shows the lower headlight housing in the right of the image, and where the mounting tab fits into.
To keep the tab from popping out, holes were drilled on the tab flange, and on the retainer. Then a zip tie was used to keep the tab in place: