Looking for Replacement LED H1 bulbs for my Spyder Halo Headlight Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got these headlights from Spyder:

https://www.topgearautosport.com/11...-bETF3vfEHk7ork5bwf2w7auOGcF2CrcaAq01EALw_wcB

I want to replace the stock bulb with an LED, but apparently the ones that would fit in my stock Tahoe housing WILL take the replacements I want, however my Spyder housings won't take them without modification. I replaced the ones that came with the Spyder housings with a more white bulb. But certainly not the look or brightness I want. These are what I put in for now:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMOBPH1NVV2N?impressionRank=1&keywordInput=bph1nvv2n

My goal is to have 6000k led bulbs, so I don't have to get HID's. I will if I have to, but I'd like to see that as a very last resort. I already have some LED fogs I'm going to install in a day or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0875Y3JWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope I'm stating my situation correctly. But the bottom line is that these bulbs I purchased first:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJMKDD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fit the vehicle, in the stock housings. They won't fit apparently in the new Spyder housings. I'd like to know if there are any that I can buy, which fit the new ones, without mods.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with many (most?) aftermarket projector headlights, the Spyders take what is basically a fog light bulb. You can get H1 LED bulbs. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Extremely-Error-free-Conversion-Motorcycle/dp/B07DDBFHBS

That's just an example and not a recommendation. I didn't see the Sealights you had in your stock housings offered in an H1 size. Honestly, I wouldn't expect much from that size/type of LED (the H1). There may be some with great output, but I'm not aware of any. I'd probably go with HIDs for better output. The real hindrance here is the projector itself.

OP
OP
BoutDrama

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with many (most?) aftermarket projector headlights, the Spyders take what is basically a fog light bulb. You can get H1 LED bulbs. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Extremely-Error-free-Conversion-Motorcycle/dp/B07DDBFHBS

That's just an example and not a recommendation. I didn't see the Sealights you had in your stock housings offered in an H1 size. Honestly, I wouldn't expect much from that size/type of LED (the H1). There may be some with great output, but I'm not aware of any. I'd probably go with HIDs for better output. The real hindrance here is the projector itself.
ok thx

OP
OP
BoutDrama

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got these on the way, great reviews on Amazon and Youtube. What I don't know is if I am supposed to get 2 of these identical kits, one for highs and one for lows. Does it work that way? Or am I supposed to look specifically for one designed for high beam use? So much to learn lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got these on the way, great reviews on Amazon and Youtube. What I don't know is if I am supposed to get 2 of these identical kits, one for highs and one for lows. Does it work that way? Or am I supposed to look specifically for one designed for high beam use? So much to learn lol.

You ordered the ones in that Amazon link?

If both the high beam and low beam positions in your housings take the same bulb, then you'd need two pairs. Even though they use the same bulb, the high beam will be brighter and scatter the light higher and over a wider area since it's a standard reflector housing. The purpose of the projector in the low beam housing is to tone down the brightness and focus the light to be more on the road and stop at a certain point (the "cutoff") as to not blind oncoming traffic. At this price point, the projectors aren't as clear or efficient as those in the high-dollar aftermarket kits or OEM in high-end cars. So, they often require a more powerful light to compensate, which would be an HID.

reflector-vs-projector-headlight-housing.png

Generally, the "ebay" aftermarket projector lenses will yield a beam pattern that's something like 50/50 of the reflector and projector patterns in the above pic. They also will commonly have "flares", which are rays of unfocused light shooting upward at angles away from the intended projection area.

OP
OP
BoutDrama

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I bought 2 kits fortunately. One good thing about them is that the area with the fan isn't very bulky. So it will fit easier in the housing. Also got some fog lights as well, so all lights should match.

OP
OP
BoutDrama

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At some point, I may switch to HID lighting. If you have a particular kit or manufacturer in mind, I'd love to hear it and will look into them. Thank you for the help!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At some point, I may switch to HID lighting. If you have a particular kit or manufacturer in mind, I'd love to hear it and will look into them. Thank you for the help!

I haven't looked into HIDs lately. But, back in my day, DDM tuning was the place to go for cheap-but-good HID kits. They had just started getting into LEDs when I was in that game. Now I see they're into retrofit projector components, too. Their prices are $10-$15 higher than I remember, but that's to be expected and it's been years.

They may not be what they used to be or they may be better. There may be better options that other members may know about.

Last edited:

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the way projectors are designed and work, and how LED bubls work, your going to end up with a shadow in the middle of the beam under the step. no real way around it unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne