How to get rid of tar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
So in rural Tennessee, apparently the road department finds it amusing to use a mixture of tar & gravel to fix dirt roads instead of paving them... Long story short, about 3 weeks ago, I found myself traveling on one of these roads, and by the time I realized what I was driving in, it was too late... There is this nice tar/asphalt mixture smeared up both front doors & both sides of the rear bumper... It's killing me, I haven't even really tried to wash my car in the past 3 weeks because I'm just completely disappointed with the fact that I have tar everywhere... Like I said, both front doors, both sides of the rear bumper, and my poor little SLP dual exhaust tip... So the question here, is there any product that I can buy that will remove the tar without damaging my already terrible paint? If so, where can I buy it, how much can I expect to pay, and how do I use said product... Don't worry about finding a product that is safe for use on an exhaust tip, because I'll be replacing that shortly anyway.

Thanks,
Robby

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
I personally use a high pressure sprayer as domin8 stated. If residue remains polishing wax (or WD40) works for me thereafter. I've been surprised at what polishing wax can remove...

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goo gone or citrus cleaner, polish wax does a great job to clean up the residue

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a cleaner I got from a buddy who paints, I can't think of what it is right now but I will at a later date when it is of no use to you.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Well i would use a dull razor blade then use goo gone to get the rest off. My old ram had tar and it just gave it the rugged look

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lysol is one of my most convenient sprays. Its a quick spray bottle ready to go...gets off most everything from bird shit to grease...Never tried it on road tar.