How to get rid of OnStar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if it's actually "shutdown." Big brother doesn't give up just like that.

As mentioned above, if you don't want onstar to work period, then look at old threads and there are other sites with info. The best way to get rid of it is to remove the sim card that controls the cellular portion. This requires disassembly of the module, but us fairly straightforward.

I don't like onstar for the fact they can snoop on me. Driving records, phone calls, contacts, GPS stamps, etc. Maybe it's just me, but if I pay for something to use I don't need it being a little snitch.....

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep all onstar previous to 2015 will be off line jan 1 if you have a paid subscription your only option will be the smartphone app
because all 3g is getting shutdown
"onstar" leads many to believe the service is via satellite it's not the only part used via satellite is the GPS location, the rest is cellular so no cell service no onstar
I’m not so sure that’s true. After Ian, there was ZERO cell service from ANY carrier for about 2-3 days. During that time OnStar was the only mode of communication with the outside world. Patched many calls thru for me at-a time when you couldn’t even get a text to go thru. Was a life saver for many people. I used to dis them…..but no more….

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure that’s true. After Ian, there was ZERO cell service from ANY carrier for about 2-3 days. During that time OnStar was the only mode of communication with the outside world. Patched many calls thru for me at-a time when you couldn’t even get a text to go thru. Was a life saver for many people. I used to dis them…..but no more….
well it's cellular only for voice communication the old analog system had a much better signal range and it uses pretty much any signal it can get from any carrier, so a signal could have came from any working system at the time.
the information below is from pre-2008 and even the updated equipment running on 3g is now going off-line jan 1 only 4g or later is going to work
onstar is not a sat phone, the GPS antenna (receiver NOT Transceiver) is used to get location/speed/direction information only which is sent from the GPS receiver to the cellular network when you press the blue button or if a crash is detected.
if onstar worked via satellite it wouldn't be going off-line because even crusty old sat phones still work
OnStar Equipment:

All OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of three types of equipment, based on wireless network technologies:

• Analog-Only:
    OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog wireless network and cannot be upgraded to operate on the digital network. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At that time, service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Analog-only vehicles cannot be upgraded to digital equipment.
  • Analog/Digital-Ready:
    OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog/digital-ready equipment operate on the analog wireless network, but can be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment if available for that vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will not be available on these vehicles unless the OnStar equipment has been upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.
  • Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital):
    OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both the analog and digital wireless networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the wireless industry's transition to the digital network.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more info
"
How You Stay Connected:

• Contact OnStar using the three-button system
  • Establish direct voice contact with an OnStar Advisor using the built-in microphone, cellular antenna in your vehicle, and cellular network
  • An Advisor can pinpoint your location using GPS technology. Based on model availability.)
  • If your air bag deploys, a message is sent to the OnStar module in your vehicle. The OnStar module then contacts the OnStar Call Center.* (Based on model availability.)
  • OnStar module connects vehicle computer to OnStar via cellular antenna
  • Cellular antenna connects vehicle through cellular network

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can assure you, there were no operable cell towers within 50 miles of Ft Myers the day after the storm nor any power to power them. (Site tower generators were either swamped or destroyed…)and none of my neighbors on all major carriers had any connectivity. Couldn’t even send a text which will usually go even on nil service. OnStar answered within 30 seconds and within 60 seconds would patch me through using their lines to any phone number in the United States. Many people made calls on my vehicle in the following 24 to 36 hours however they connected…..and were grateful.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had working OnStar with a subscription?? I thought our trucks weren’t even able to be activated anymore.
The “new” OnStar for older GMC vehicle sucks. It’s not better than the original and they blame it on cell service for the older vehicles couldn’t be integrated, or blended into the older vehicles. My iPhone has crash detection so I opted out. The customer service sucked too. Mele Kalikimaka & Haole Makahiki Hou!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14