How to get rid of OnStar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a parasitic draw problem, reading online about pulling the DIC fuse which I did, we'll see if my truck is dead tomorrow even with the fuse gone.

I lost my speedo/everything when I pulled the fuse so do you know how to remove onstar in another way other than just the fuse? Thanks

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a parasitic draw problem, reading online about pulling the DIC fuse which I did, we'll see if my truck is dead tomorrow even with the fuse gone.

I lost my speedo/everything when I pulled the fuse so do you know how to remove onstar in another way other than just the fuse? Thanks
Use the "search." type in "How to disable onstar," and get access to many post relative to your enquiry.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Onstar is easy to access, behind the glove box door. ( size of 2 packs of cigarettes )
Maybe just unplug it?
I unplugged it and plugged in a Costar box. I can use the entire system for my phone for no more cost.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to call them to unsubscribe or cancel the service or they just keep charging you. They kept charging me even after I called them, so keep an eye on your cc bill. They kept charging me for 4 months after I cancelled. Slick buggers!!!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

how have you made the determination that onstar is the problem?, seems like you would have had to already gone into enough troubleshooting that you would have known how to unplug the onstar module already. Also I don't think onstar is powered thru the instrument cluster it's usually connected up with the radio and still has it's own separate fuse

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to call them to unsubscribe or cancel the service or they just keep charging you. They kept charging me even after I called them, so keep an eye on your cc bill. They kept charging me for 4 months after I cancelled. Slick buggers!!!!!

You had working OnStar with a subscription?? I thought our trucks weren’t even able to be activated anymore.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had working OnStar with a subscription?? I thought our trucks weren’t even able to be activated anymore.
2004 could be upgraded. My 2006 had a working OnStar, and I think 2005 also could work..

But all of them are going to be dead come January.

10 years ago, I upgraded the module in my Envoy. Of course now thats just money wasted!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep all onstar previous to 2015 will be off line jan 1 if you have a paid subscription your only option will be the smartphone app
because all 3g is getting shutdown
"onstar" leads many to believe the service is via satellite it's not the only part used via satellite is the GPS location, the rest is cellular so no cell service no onstar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu