how to disable flex fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tired of having issues with my 06 Tahoe 5.3 FFV, fuel alcohol percent staying at 60 for the past couple tanks and its running like crap. Can the Chevy dealer or someone go in and disable the flex fuel? Thanks

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to just replace the inline E-Sensor (dont know the exact name of it). A tech2 might be able to recalibrate it?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be easier to just replace the inline E-Sensor (dont know the exact name of it). A tech2 might be able to recalibrate it?

Called a Fuel Composition Sensor. It may also help to update the PCM/ECU calibration before making any physical changes. A Tech 2 used with TIS2000 (or Tech2Win online) can check and update the calibration, as can a dealership.

EDIT: what happens if you simply disconnect the FF sensor that's on the fuel rail?

OP
OP
S

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. This model has the "virtual' sensor that needs to be disabled. If I knew what to unplug it would be gone. Ive had this thing reset so many times now that the guy at the shop just hands me his tech tool when I pull up. I went by the local Chevy dealer to ask about any ecm update to fix the issue and that went nowhere

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of the time them sensors need to be reset, as far as i know it can only be done with a tech 2. causes the fuel trims to go nuts and the engine wont run right.

as far as deleting it from the tune. pretty sure it can be turned off with a mouse click.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can enter your VIN here and go through a few steps to see if a calibration has been released to cure this type of issue:

If you want help with it, post up (or PM) your full VIN and I'd dig through the calibrations.

EDIT: you can also ask Blackbear or DiabLew if it could be disabled in a custom tune.

OP
OP
S

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Will look into if a custom tune can do it. If there is a way the dealer can do it, I would also like to know so I could try explaining it at a different dealership

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sent you a PM with details.

EDIT: Look for any calibration that would affect fuel composition.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your computer is seeing alcohol levels high, it is probably bad intake gaskets or o2 sensors. The virtual flex system sees the tank refuel then calculates the composition of oxygen in the exhaust with the o2 sensors.
There isnt anything in the flex system to fail.
There is an update as i just had it done to my 06.
But i would start with new o2 sensors and check for leaking intake gaskets first.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your computer is seeing alcohol levels high, it is probably bad intake gaskets or o2 sensors. The virtual flex system sees the tank refuel then calculates the composition of oxygen in the exhaust with the o2 sensors.
There isnt anything in the flex system to fail.
There is an update as i just had it done to my 06.
But i would start with new o2 sensors and check for leaking intake gaskets first.

If you go that direction, just look at your fuel trims to see if they're in the ballpark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63