How to determine Towing power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonic2211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are looking for a used 2010-2014 Yukon XL. We would be open to Suburban if we could reach our towing power needed. We need it to be able to pull around 7,000 lbs. What I am running into is that I can find no easy way to determine pulling power. For example, if I'm looking at a 2011 Yukon XL, I know if it's a 6.2L Denali with a 3.42 axle, it can pull 7800-7900 lb (2wd vs awd). But what if it's not a Denali series but it has a trailering package? What can that pull? In this trailering guide (https://letstowthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2011-GMC-Trailering-Guide.pdf), there are three options under a Yukon XL 4wd 5.3L, and only the third option can pull 8000 lbs, but it doesn't say if that's with a trailering package or what the difference is between that option and the above two options.

I found this website, but again, it doesn't delineate if something has a trailering package (https://www.autopadre.com/towing-capacity/gmc-yukon-xl)

And is there a difference between a tow package and a trailering package? And what if something is advertised as having a trailering package but they also say the rear axle is only 3.08? I read on one of the forums here that a trailering package should have a 3.42 rear axle.

Thank you in advance for any clarity you can give on this topic!

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to pull 7000 then you will want at least the 3.42 gears...
The 2wd rear axle is heavier duty than the 4wd rear axle.
6.2 engine would be way better for towing power...
The trailer packages may or may not include the built in tow brake controller - you
will have to physically look to see if it is built in - to the left side of the steering wheel

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Towing rating" is the last question you should be asking. That rating is honestly BS, because it's calculated with a 150-lb driver, and no other cargo or passengers. Is that how you're planning to tow? You should be more concerned with payload rating, GVWR, and axle weight ratings.

I towed a 7,000-lb travel trailer with a half-ton Suburban. Not fun. And stuff broke. Like the rear axle. While on vacation. Multiple times.

Suburbans and Tahoes of that vintage with the HD cooling/trailering package are rated to tow 8100-8200 lbs, so actually slightly more than a Denali XL.

If you're talking occasionally towing, weekend trips to the lake, you'll probably be fine. But if you intend long road trips, hills, mountains... You probably want something heavier-duty.

The 2500 SUVs are the kings of the hill. Unfortunately, given the current used car market, they're gold-plated unicorns and you'll pay through the nose for a good one, if you can even find one.

My suggestion: Lower your expectations a bit, will 5500-6000 lbs work? Half-ton can do that all day.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7000 lb camper (loaded for camping) with our 2012 Yukon XL Denali. It handles it very well, though I’ve made some modifications to it, including a bigger cam, 2-row radiator, a Derale fan-forced transmission cooler, and a billet torque converter that can handle towing duty better. Of these mods, the torque converter is the only one I consider to be essential.

The Denali is AWD so it’s running the power through both axles all the time instead of the rear only as others do when not in 4wd, though it’s possible to upgrade the rear axle to one from a 2WD Escalade (14-bolt vs the stock 10-bolt) and it’s a direct fit swap. So far, I have about 20k towing miles and 130k total on the clock and no issues related to towing.

The Denali is also a 6.2 engine, which I find has plenty of power for pulling our camper anywhere we’ve wanted to go. Took it to Yellowstone last summer in 90° heat across the red desert in southern Wyoming, and have made multiple trips across the Appalachians.

To answer your direct question though, the officia towing capacity of each truck will depend on how it’s equipped. You can paste the VIN numbers of ones your considering into some of the free lookup sites out there and get the details of how it’s equipped.

Most important, in my opinion, is the integrated trailer brake controller, (JL1) because in 2012 and newer models it will work with the stability control system to control trailer sway in an emergency maneuvering situation. Second is the engine oil cooling system (KC4), transmission cooling system (KNP), and the enhanced cooling package (K5L) because it includes 700w fan motors over the regular 500w ones. That said, the 700w motors and fan blades can be added later, as the K5L may be hard to find. I also recommend the 3.42 axle ratio (GU6), the 7400 lb GVWR (C6C) for maximum payload and tow ratings, HD trailering equipment (Z82), and finally the autoride suspension (Z55) because it has self-leveling rear air shocks.

Hope this helps.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s how ours stacks up on the CAT scales loaded with my wife, 2 kids and gas for camping. I’ve also included our payload sticker to show that we’re within the limits of both axles and the payload capacity of the truck, but only just. We use a Camco Recurve R3 hitch with integrated friction sway control, and have no problems with sway. Note that the tongue weight on the camper comes in at about 700 lbs, so total weight of the camper with propane and all of our gear is actually closer to 7200-7300 pounds. I’ve also pulled it with a generator on the rear bumper of the camper and a full water tank, which together add about 600 more pounds, and couldn’t tell the difference.

632C35F5-6194-427A-A31B-AEDE50B26882.jpeg
62F82461-C061-4EEC-B883-49A4BB01A3BA.jpeg
79454034-7EF1-4BBD-87B9-969430D7D035.jpeg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am running into is that I can find no easy way to determine pulling power.
Welcome to the forum Sonic. First, I suggest looking for 2012-2014 models because they have Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist and Improvements with Powertrain Grade Braking and Cruise Grade Braking. Like Dave, JL1, the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is a must have, won't consider a truck without one. No, it cannot be added! LOL

Ok, if you come across a 5.3 and it has 3.08 gears, pass on it. If you come across a 5.3 with 3.42 gears, you have to make sure that it has K5L in its RPO sheet so that you know it is rated for the maximum tow rating. Same goes for the 6.2 Denalis. Some of them do not have the external engine oil cooler and external transmission cooler either.

If you are looking for a real unicorn, in 2010 GMC made Yukon XL SLTs with the L9H 6.2, no AFM, and they can be found as 4x4s or RWD. Thus far we've only located just under 40 but they do show up for sale every month or so, usually all but used up mileage wise.

We can still see your VIN Dave! LOL

Your girl weighs 100 pounds more than mine! Is that what those Dubs and air suspension add? My payload capacity is 1499 pounds with the same GVW Rating, so her original curb weight was 5901. Right after I put the new Michelins on, the CAT Scales say she weighed 5860.

Question for Dave and Bill @intheburbs @Geotrash : How far on average is your daily run while towing a travel trailer?

20220224_072216.jpg

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can still see your VIN Dave! LOL
Eh, that's alright. :-D

Oh, you also asked about our average daily run when towing. About half of our trips are to destinations within 2 hours of home, and about 3-4 times a year we will take a longer trip that's 4-5 hours from home. And once a year we do a major trip, like out to Yellowstone, etc., and will stack on multiple 6-10 hour days in the saddle, with a few long days of 14 hours in the past few years. So the average is probably 3-4 hours a day in the saddle towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sonic2211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so all so much for your replies. This was super helpful! I'm going to take a little while to digest all of your responses and I may have a few more f/u questions, but I did want to answer one question that I should have answered in the original post. We plan to pull only occasionally -- most of what we will pull will be less than 7,000 (small boat, etc), but we occasionally will need to pull a 7,000 farm tractor/trailer combo but even then, we will only be pulling it for an hour or so on roads with no mountains. We live in Maine so it's never super hot. We may occasionally take road trips to the mid-west but never pulling anything heavy. We do have a family of 6 and plan to have added gear, etc so thank you for mentioning that @intheburbs We eventually may get a camper trailer but will get a light one. So our pulling needs are mostly light but occasionally heavier with the tractor. Most of our driving will be more family oriented, with occasional trips to the back woods of Maine where clearance and 4wd (especially in winter!) will be essential. We use our current 4wd on a Suzuki XL7 quite frequently in our Maine snowy and icy winters! Thank you all again!

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez...1342 lbs payload? o_O
My family of five, now three adult children including my fat butt, weighs 900 lbs. Wouldn't have much payload left for a trailer.
That's why literally everything we take camping with us goes into the trailer and not into the back of the Yukon. The ONLY things in the Yukon, besides seats and a steering wheel, are 2 adults, 2 small-ish kids (10 and 13), and a 65 lb. dog (all in about 650 lbs. of meat :cool: ). We even take the third row out on most camping trips. But again, that 6.2L pulls it all with ease and the truck and camper combo are very stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz