How to clean staining off chrome trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a feeling it might be the mag chloride. Mine is not nearly as bad as the OP but I do a pretty good job of keeping it washed in the winter, or at least pressure washing it after the storms. I sort of figured it would just need to be replaced when I couldn't handle it any longer or get it wrapped. I'd be curious if clear coating a new one would help it last longer, seems like a good idea.

I will look at my wifes car when she gets home and see if it's doing the same thing on her chrome. It's a toyota, so I will see if maybe their chrome handles the elements better. I'll attach a pic of mine for reference.

IMG_1376.jpg

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the mag chloride is terribly corrosive!! In Central Oregon they switched years ago from cinders. At first they said it wasn’t corrosive....lol....now DOT has warnings about it!! All of our vehicles have been susceptible to it (GM, Audi, BMW). Wheels are the worst. All our winter wheels are now black or clear coated aluminum.

OP, that looks like it might be too far gone to save unfortunately. Hopefully your detail guy has an option. If so, please share.

The #1 thing we do is wash, wash, wash! Tough to do when below freezing for weeks. I spray a chrome wheel cleaner on all the chrome before I run it though a heated car wash or spray it off. Fortunately, our self serve car washes have heated water and it gets the crap off too. Also, we cover any chrome that we can in clear film.

+1 for clear coating too.

OP
OP
BladesNBarrels
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.
The detailer did not have any additional suggestions.
He said he would try wet sanding with a high grit, but the cost would be more than replacing the trim.
He also suggested powder coating with black and it would emphasize the Alpine White color of the Yukon.
I am going to try the different suggestions using polish like Simichrome, which I use on collectible knives.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon has developed a reddish brown staining on all of the chrome.
It is all of the chromed trim - front sides, and back.
I read the warnings on chrome cleaning products that they are not to be used on chromed plastic parts.
Out of frustration, I am about to try some Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner on some of the places not too obvious.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
I"m wondering if what is happening isn't due to "bug guts"? Do you wash off dead bugs regularly? Of have there been times when they have been left on your grill for a while? To me the issue looks like acid etching and no amount of cleaning will help. new grill?

OP
OP
BladesNBarrels
Reaction score
Could be originally bug guts in the front. I travel on long trips from Colorado to Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, California, and Nevada and that is where I rack up my mileage.
The staining is on all my chrome trim, not just the grill, including the back and sides.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be originally bug guts in the front. I travel on long trips from Colorado to Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, California, and Nevada and that is where I rack up my mileage.
The staining is on all my chrome trim, not just the grill, including the back and sides.
Based on the previous information about mag chloride, getting your trim wrapped might be the best option. It's a bummer this happened!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a study done by/for Colorado DOT back in 2002 on the corrosive affects of MgCL2 and NaCL. Coincidentally, this report came out about a year after the company that I worked for (Henderson Manufacturing) that makes snow and ice removal equipment had to replace all of the 304ss tanks on our equipment that was being used by the state of Colorado with poly tanks because the Magnesium Chloride was eating them up and producing some bad fumes that made the drivers sick when they opened the caps to the tanks to refill them.
https://www.codot.gov/programs/research/pdfs/2002/magautocor.pdf

OP
OP
BladesNBarrels
Reaction score
Follow up to my chrome trim problems.
After having the Yukon detailed for the first time, I asked the local dealer what alternatives were available.
1. Replace the trim - 2,700 for the parts, labor for just the grill was 500. He thought 4,000 to 5,000 total.
2. Wrap the trim - he called various shops and the price exceeded replacement.
3. Powder coat the trim - we are still waiting on final numbers, but it is looking to be the best alternative. I will post when we get those estimates.
Yes, the corrosion is due to the salts used for snow melt in Colorado roads.
The best results the dealership has seen is from the people that wash their cars every week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442