How to change your Upper intermediary steering shaft ("clunk" noise) (2003 Tahoe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. One of the easiest fixes to do. It's only two bolts. The bolt under the hood takes about 1 minute. The hardest part is twisting and reaching up under the dash. I got my OEM unit from GMpartsdirect. All dealers should be carrying the updated part by now.

06GMC5.3L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to change your Upper intermediary steering shaft ("clunk" noise) (2003 Taho

Just be sure not to let the steering wheel free spin if you have the steering wheel controls because you will raise he'll with all the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When does it Clunk?

I have a “clunk” every time I apply the brake. No one ever explained the correlation between “clunk”: and steering. Does this “clink” happen when you TURN the steering wheel? What makes it produce the clunk?

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
I have a “clunk” every time I apply the brake. No one ever explained the correlation between “clunk”: and steering. Does this “clink” happen when you TURN the steering wheel? What makes it produce the clunk?

Many different things can cause a "clunk", may not have anything to do with the steering...

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer Just Called

My question was - in this thread - when does the clunk happen? When you turn the steering wheel? Thread started with "Upper intermediate steering shaft ("clunk" noise) " but didn't say when it happens or how to make it happen.
Mine is when you apply the brakes (front-left area). Dealer hears it, but can't home in on it today.

Last edited:

Ketzer

Reaction score
My question was - in this thread - when does the clunk happen? When you turn the steering wheel? Thread started with "Upper intermediate steering shaft ("clunk" noise) " but didn't say when it happens or how to make it happen.
Mine is when you apply the brakes (front-left area). Dealer hears it, but can't home in on it today.

I've got a similar issue Rich. Same "feeling" as yours. More when stopping and starting and doesn't seem to do it at first, only after I've driven a few miles. Mine seems more related to a bad half shaft though (four wheel drive obviously) than the steering, but this steering thing is so common. If I get mine diagnosed, I'll pass it on. :happy160:

Jeff-

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
This clunk due to its origin can be felt at the steering wheel correct?

From what i remember, when I was in Reverse and then going back to Drive after getting out a parking space. It was at low speed.

I just think there is an easy way to test them.
Remove one bolt and try it back and forth.
If it goes without any resistance, it's failed.
IF you need strengh, it's ok.

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the new ISS today after work, but still have the clunk. Mine appears to be the plastic collar/bearing piece at the base of the column where the ISS shaft attaches. Any advice on fixing this?

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed my column rattle with the help of two hose clamps. Boom!

Attachments

• Column Fix.jpg
    Column Fix.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 33

jose6326

Reaction score
Fixed my column rattle with the help of two hose clamps. Boom!

im guessing that is what is making a bell noise when I hit bumps in the road on my 03 Tahoe.

I also have the clunk noise and feeling in the steering wheel when I hit bumps in the road as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700