HOW-TO: 03-06 NBS Gauge cluster LED conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ornelasa35

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not do radios, or any airbag shutoff switches. I also do not do 00-02 clusters.
I can do a 03-06 cluster for $50
I charge $50 to do a dash AC control panel, and $40 for each overhead rear ac control
Headlight switch-$30
Rear wiper/foglight switch -$20
4x4 switch-$30
Traction control switch-$20
Sunroof switch-$20
Homelink buttons inbroof console-$35
Steering wheel controls -$40 for all 4
Drivers door master window/lock/mirror switch-$40
Power mirror switch -$20 (00-02 only) its part of the window switch on 03-06
Passenger door window/lock switch-$30
Rear door power window switches-$20 each

I only do blue. I tried red and white and they looked like crap so I ain't ******* with them anymore. Blue gives the best results.

would my truck run without a cluster and yeah my hoe is a 05 im prob gona be doing just my cluster and steering wheel controlls and blue is the color that i want

macs02tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there, My name is Scot.
I noticed you are mentioned on a bunch of threads here as someone who knows a great deal about incandescant to LED (SMD) conversions. I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71. I did the gauge cluster conversion this morning and I have run into a problem. I replaced the 194's with T10 SMD's in blue. Once I installed the cluster back in the dash they lit up perfectly...unfortunately they ONLY light when I increase my dimmer all the way up to where the dome lights illuminate. This isn't only the guage lights, but all my dash lights. At this point I have no dash illumination unless the domes are on as well. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out, and I am completely at a loss. Do you have any idea what could have caused this? I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much!

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May i ask why you dont do radios? Is it something someone could still tackle on their own?

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Also, how do you remove the steering wheel controls?

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May i ask why you dont do radios? Is it something someone could still tackle on their own?

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Honestly, its way too involved and way too time consuming . I would have to charge at least $100 to do it, and I don't feel comfortable doing that. Most people would rather put that $$ into a new radio instead. So I just tell people that I don't do them.
And the steering wheel buttons will pop right out if you just pry them out with a butterknife. Just be careful and work slow so you don't damage the steering wheel. Re-installing the buttons may be a bit harder due to almost no slack in the wiring. You may or may not have to pop off the airbag/horn button assembly to get at the wiring harness to give it some slack so you can plug the switches back in. The airbag comes off really easy, just push a piece of stiff wire into the tiny hole of each side of the back of the steering wheel to release the clip that holds the airbag on. When both clips are released, the airbag will come off. I wouldn't even unplug it, just lift it up to gain access to the steering button harness that runs behind the airbag.

barhpr

Reaction score
A led is no different than anyother led correct? Voltage wise? Im assuming this is where a resistor comes into play? Radioshack leds ok to use?

Devs93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there, My name is Scot.
I noticed you are mentioned on a bunch of threads here as someone who knows a great deal about incandescant to LED (SMD) conversions. I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71. I did the gauge cluster conversion this morning and I have run into a problem. I replaced the 194's with T10 SMD's in blue. Once I installed the cluster back in the dash they lit up perfectly...unfortunately they ONLY light when I increase my dimmer all the way up to where the dome lights illuminate. This isn't only the guage lights, but all my dash lights. At this point I have no dash illumination unless the domes are on as well. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out, and I am completely at a loss. Do you have any idea what could have caused this? I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much!

why would change to t 10s from 194s? Your losing light output.

You still doing these Ive been getting a lot of request from led customers.Im not sure if I have the time to mess with them really. If so shoot me a pm if your interested in doing a couple. Great write up btw

toddis32

Reaction score
If anyone needs blue,green,red or white LED's that DO NOT require using a resistor, let me know. I can get them for 2003-2006 GM clusters and 1999-2002 GM Trucks and full size SUV's.

05whitenali

Reaction score
Scotty,

Is there anyway you could post a closeup picture of which sides you have marked for positive and negative? I would assume this would be the same on all of them? and would require a lot less time and hassle having to try to figure out a way to plug it back in and text all of them. If this is possible it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

mofle52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey im looking into getting those non resistor lights. PM me to talk more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076