How much rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric09LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals ! I have an 09 tahoe with a stage 2 tsp custom truck cam and have gotten a custom dyno tune . I have ls7 lifters , ls6 springs , DOD delete , ls2 timing sprocket and guides . Hardened push rods and the cam is a high lift 212/218,.600/.600 ,112 LSA, 110ICL . My shift points after getting the tune are 5500 rpm . I don’t have intake or exhaust . Would I get much more power after 5500 and would it be safe ? Thank you guys . I included a picture of my dyno sheet

ACAE59DF-2556-455A-9256-8F7F5E684483.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals ! I have an 09 tahoe with a stage 2 tsp custom truck cam and have gotten a custom dyno tune . I have ls7 lifters , ls6 springs , DOD delete , ls2 timing sprocket and guides . Hardened push rods and the cam is a high lift 212/218,.600/.600 ,112 LSA, 110ICL . My shift points after getting the tune are 5500 rpm . I don’t have intake or exhaust . Would I get much more power after 5500 and would it be safe ? Thank you guys . I included a picture of my dyno sheet

View attachment 249146

My stock motor shifts at around 5800 rpms with its BlackBear tune. So yes, a cam like that needs to rev to reveal its power but not much more over 6000 since a stock 6L80 is limited to 6200 RPMs.

Do you have before and after pulls? Any track time? What gears? My eyes aren't good enough to read the sheet, what does it say?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My motor shifts at 5800, as well, with a BlackBear tune.

OP
OP
Eric09LTZ

Eric09LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My stock motor shifts at around 5800 rpms with its BlackBear tune. So yes, a cam like that needs to rev to reveal its power but not much more over 6000 since a stock 6L80 is limited to 6200 RPMs.

Do you have before and after pulls? Any track time? What gears? My eyes aren't good enough to read the sheet, what does it say?
It was a mustang dyno , 4th gear pull , 271 hp , 284tq . He said it would get another 30-40 hp on a standard dyno . Everything on the truck is stock besides the listed upgrades

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The Truck intake is tuned for torque. If you had a LS3 intake or MSD intake you could retune it.. But why...its a 6000 lb SUV

I wish I could find an EXTRA "TRUCKY" manifold.... lol

I love torque and HP doesn't really get me all that excited.

I wish someone made a Tuned Port injection style manifold for our LS engines. Something with super long intake runners to build that low end big block type of grunt.

I realize that I am in the minority on this though as most people like to rev their LS engines, but I drive a 6K lb long body Burb and have no desire to go real fast. I would love to be able to breath on the throttle and roast the tires at will though... lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish someone made a Tuned Port injection style manifold for our LS engines. Something with super long intake runners to build that low end big block type of grunt.

I realize that I am in the minority on this though as most people like to rev their LS engines, but I drive a 6K lb long body Burb and have no desire to go real fast. I would love to be able to breath on the throttle and roast the tires at will though... lol

That's cause you're a trucker! I know, my second Buick made 200 horsepower and 300 foot pounds of torque. My intercooled ones started out with 230-245 HP and 330-345 torque. My brain has a hard time liking to see horsepower numbers exceeding torque numbers, like the LS7.

If I ever get to build a custom engine, I'll keep the 243 heads for more torque over the 823s as I increase cubic inches to at least 372.33 cid.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You wouldn't consider the LS style, more specifically your stock truck intake manifold to be a tuned port design? I think the runners are similar in length, if not longer than those of the old school TPI. They're just routed differently for a tighter, sleeker package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645