How many of you DO NOT experience buffetting and vibration problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which model of Michelin's? I'll be getting a set to replace my Continentals the moment they make one peep!

For the record, I've only had 20s on mine, including the BFGs.

Our trucks are sensitive - even 18lbs RF on the rear can result in buffeting. IIRC, they got my BFGs to 12, 10, 10 and 8.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Michelin Premier LTX 275/55/20. Local shop ordered two sets to make sure they can get super low RF numbers. A member on another forum had his dealer replace the oem bridgestone with micheline premier and it pretty much eliminated the buffeting in his 2016 escalade. They replaced the bridgestones with another set of bridgestones prior to tryng the michelins.

I wonder how many tires are being wasted or $$ lost by GM swapping tires on all of these new trucks. I am sure in most cases the tires are otherwise good, just not good enough for these over sensitive trucks.

Last edited:

Angel87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently took a trip to California and I experienced the vibration as well. At exactly 75 mph the vibration started at ended at exactly 85 mph. It was extremely annoying. My Tahoe is a 2015 and you would think that being a brand new truck it wouldn't have any defects! I tried going past 85 1/4 of the way to Vegas, but didn't want to risk it by getting pulled over so had to deal with the vibration most of that drive back. It has the stock 20s on it and am planning on getting some CK wheels but don't know if the ride will get worse

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently took a trip to California and I experienced the vibration as well. At exactly 75 mph the vibration started at ended at exactly 85 mph. It was extremely annoying. My Tahoe is a 2015 and you would think that being a brand new truck it wouldn't have any defects! I tried going past 85 1/4 of the way to Vegas, but didn't want to risk it by getting pulled over so had to deal with the vibration most of that drive back. It has the stock 20s on it and am planning on getting some CK wheels but don't know if the ride will get worse

I replaced the 18s with the denali 22s the 1st week we owned it and I have now gone back to oem 20s with new tires. I know the tires mounted to the 22s were not great but the ride suffered with the 22s not to mention the buffeting was horrible. I know the buffeting occurs with all size wheels/tire combos but it's obvious when running 22s there is much less tolerance when it comes to all things related to NVH issues... vibrations, buffeting, etc. vs the 20s or 18s.

Angel87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the 18s with the denali 22s the 1st week we owned it and I have now gone back to oem 20s with new tires. I know the tires mounted to the 22s were not great but the ride suffered with the 22s not to mention the buffeting was horrible. I know the buffeting occurs with all size wheels/tire combos but it's obvious when running 22s there is much less tolerance when it comes to all things related to NVH issues... vibrations, buffeting, etc. vs the 20s or 18s.
Did you buy the tire/wheel combo from the dealership? I'm tempted to buy 22s CK wheels (replicas) from eBay but don't want the risk of the ride to be worse than what it is now

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the tire/wheel combo from the dealership? I'm tempted to buy 22s CK wheels (replicas) from eBay but don't want the risk of the ride to be worse than what it is now

No. But they were brand new OEM take offs. I suppose they could have been defected in some way but I was fed up and purchased a set of machine finish Denali 20s. The person I sold the 22 CKs never complained once they were installed on his pre15 denali.

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The window foam made zero difference. I *thought* that I was able to make some difference by moving the Styrofoam around the hatch, but it wasn't noticeable. In the end, the hatch wasn't responsible for the buffeting. At least in my case.

The 6th tire replacement (getting them all below 15lb RF balanced) made the biggest impact. I reintroduced the buffeting when I switched to my BFG K02s and made it disappear again by having them RF balanced (w. 2 exchanges) as well.

The boom was seemingly solved by adding 6 dampers to the exhaust. No GM part numbers supplied.

The vibration was solved with a rear axle replacement - rotor to rotor - the whole thing.

My headliner was pulled off, but my roof rails were found to be OK.

It was a long road, but I'm finally able to enjoy my Yukon.

Is there anyway you can take a pic underneath your vehicle so I could see the exhaust? Can U see the dampeners by looking at it?

Hayseed_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coming from an X5 but like the style and size of the new Yukon Denali. Have never owned a GM product before.

Wife and I took one out and I thought it was rough on the highway - almost like a vibration. Also gave me a headache and made me nauseous. Chalked up to my driving style and new type of vehicle. Wife noticed nothing.

That night I got on here and also googled to see all the complaints. It seems as if I was not imaging the symptoms. So is this still an issue? The car tested had just been delivered.

Really liked the vehicle but all these complaints make me very nervous. Should I be?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from an X5 but like the style and size of the new Yukon Denali. Have never owned a GM product before.

Wife and I took one out and I thought it was rough on the highway - almost like a vibration. Also gave me a headache and made me nauseous. Chalked up to my driving style and new type of vehicle. Wife noticed nothing.

That night I got on here and also googled to see all the complaints. It seems as if I was not imaging the symptoms. So is this still an issue? The car tested had just been delivered.

Really liked the vehicle but all these complaints make me very nervous. Should I be?

Test drive thoroughly before you take delivery. Seems 22" wheels and long wheel base 2015's have more of an issue but that's just anecdotal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayseed_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Looking for the short bus.

Had the 22" on it but I prefer the smaller wheel with larger sidewall. Dealer said the 22" will ride softer - he is wrong.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Looking for the short bus.

Had the 22" on it but I prefer the smaller wheel with larger sidewall. Dealer said the 22" will ride softer - he is wrong.

22's will absolutely not ride softer lol.

Test drive at 75+ mph to test for vibration. 20-40 for buffetting (sounds like one window is cracked open) and rough surfaces for booming.

Crazy we have to do all this. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts