How many miles is to many for a used Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

snoprosledneck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your in good with your local dealer just go and and ask the service manager to look up the vin for you. They can see EVERYTHING that was done at any dealership. More detailed than carfax. Lots of times carfax lists “vehicle serviced”. So it’s hard to gauge what was done. Just ask if you don’t know anyone there. Worth a shot. IMO I would steer clear of vehicles from the northeast and northern tier. Just because of the salt issue. But if the person has taken care of washing salt off in the winter you should be good. You’ll know when you see it. I have seen 2018 Tahoe’s with 23k miles that have been beat to shit for sale on dealer lots. Dings, dents, repainted, molding all messed, rims curbed rashed, rust everywhere underneath. That tells me the person didn’t give 2 cents about the car. NEXT. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We live in the Midwest/rust belt so I know what you're talking about. Overall the car is in really good shape. GM has a sore spot with me and I didn't want to buy something that is known to have issues. Come to find out the 2015 Tahoes have issues and I'm going to have to give it a pass. Great looking vehicle, just don't want to be wrenching on something all the time while making a payment on it. I really appreciate your input! Thank you.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has always wanted a Tahoe and we found one at our local dealership. The vehicle has had 2 previous owners. The first owner was a low mile lease, around 14K miles, and the second owner just traded it in at 69K. The Tahoe is a 2015 LT by the way. My wife really likes the SUV, I'm just worried about the mileage. I do all of my own work but I also don't want a nickel and dime machine. I do not have any experience with Tahoes and for all, I know they get traded in at 70K because they are costing too much in maintenance. I had a 2003 Silverado that was not a pleasant experience, I'm sure that is where a lot of my apprehension is coming from with buying another Chevrolet. My Silverado was always having issues with, abs sensors, evap, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc...

So my question is this, is this something that I should stay away from? what are common issues with these suvs? Tell me your experience with your Tahoe please, It's greatly appreciated.
i would buy an SUV with 250k freeway miles provided they had records

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We live in the Midwest/rust belt so I know what you're talking about. Overall the car is in really good shape. GM has a sore spot with me and I didn't want to buy something that is known to have issues. Come to find out the 2015 Tahoes have issues and I'm going to have to give it a pass. Great looking vehicle, just don't want to be wrenching on something all the time while making a payment on it. I really appreciate your input! Thank you.

I shared the same feelings. I went form an 03 suburban to a 13 suburban. from 240,000 to 65,000 miles. I like my newer one alot but it came with a couple issues I missed when I looked at and drove it. It is still the best of the ones I had seen when I was shopping.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 15-17 model years have some issues. But that doesn’t mean the 18-20’s are free of issues either. I hear ya on not wanting to constantly fixing. If you are seriously looking I would wait a bit longer. The used cars are piling up. Heck dealers don’t want to even take the lease turn in’s now because they have no room. The values are tanking. Maybe June or July would be a good time. It all depends on when these restrictions get lifted. I know some states have but the others are locked down tight. Here in Virginia we are on stay at home until June 10. Stupid. I go about my daily routine. Nothing changed for me. The first week there was very little traffic. Now it’s back to normal. Stupid if you ask me to be shutdown. Hey but that’s for another thread. Good luck with the car hunt

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has always wanted a Tahoe and we found one at our local dealership. The vehicle has had 2 previous owners. The first owner was a low mile lease, around 14K miles, and the second owner just traded it in at 69K. The Tahoe is a 2015 LT by the way. My wife really likes the SUV, I'm just worried about the mileage. I do all of my own work but I also don't want a nickel and dime machine. I do not have any experience with Tahoes and for all, I know they get traded in at 70K because they are costing too much in maintenance. I had a 2003 Silverado that was not a pleasant experience, I'm sure that is where a lot of my apprehension is coming from with buying another Chevrolet. My Silverado was always having issues with, abs sensors, evap, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc...

So my question is this, is this something that I should stay away from? what are common issues with these suvs? Tell me your experience with your Tahoe please, It's greatly appreciated.

I bought a new 2016 Tahoe LT back in October 2016. Build date was August 2016. So far [just turned 84K miles today] only thing it needed was a a/c Condenser. GM paid the entire bill. It repaired the following day after it went out. Everything else is just plain old regular maintenance every 5K miles. I have no intentions of selling it anytime soon and plan on a lot more road trips.

If you can find a higher mileage late 2016-2018 in your price range that might work if you can get ALL service records and have it checked out by a good independent mechanic. Just IMHO.

About a year ago a friend found a nice 2017 Tahoe from OFFLEASEONLY.COM. Looked brand new. His independent mechanic put it on the rack to check it out and found out the entire front end was rebuilt. He took it right back to Off Lease.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
69,000 miles is considered high? I have 66k on my 15 and it drives as new. Buy a warranty with the $ you save.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if I was looking again, anything under 100k is a low mileage one, under 60k miles extreme low mileage, only downfall of the ones with super low miles and a few years old is they are normally driving only city miles, start barely get to operating temp then shut off, and repeated over and over again, some idle for alot of that time also so check the hour meter, found one with 44k miles with about double the hours of mine with 135k on it. ALWAYS check the hours. They all have their issues, some better years than others. If the service records check out and are good, then the DOD motor should get you to 200k mile mark pretty easily, I poorly maintained one will be a stretch to make it to 150k without a DOD failure.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a tech...... the 2 main issues were the valve train (Lifters/Springs) and the AC system (evap/condensor).

If the price was right, it might be worth it. If its a well respected dealer, maybe opt for the extended warranty for a piece of mind.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the low mileage high hours. Mine has 22k miles and 850 hours. Mostly short runs and stop and go traffic. It does get up to temp though.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 15-17 model years have some issues. But that doesn’t mean the 18-20’s are free of issues either. I hear ya on not wanting to constantly fixing. If you are seriously looking I would wait a bit longer. The used cars are piling up. Heck dealers don’t want to even take the lease turn in’s now because they have no room. The values are tanking. Maybe June or July would be a good time. It all depends on when these restrictions get lifted. I know some states have but the others are locked down tight. Here in Virginia we are on stay at home until June 10. Stupid. I go about my daily routine. Nothing changed for me. The first week there was very little traffic. Now it’s back to normal. Stupid if you ask me to be shutdown. Hey but that’s for another thread. Good luck with the car hunt

Excellent advise...............

I can't wait to start hitting the auctions here in MD once this stuff is over. I plan buying and selling a ton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne