How many miles is to many for a used Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snoprosledneck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife has always wanted a Tahoe and we found one at our local dealership. The vehicle has had 2 previous owners. The first owner was a low mile lease, around 14K miles, and the second owner just traded it in at 69K. The Tahoe is a 2015 LT by the way. My wife really likes the SUV, I'm just worried about the mileage. I do all of my own work but I also don't want a nickel and dime machine. I do not have any experience with Tahoes and for all, I know they get traded in at 70K because they are costing too much in maintenance. I had a 2003 Silverado that was not a pleasant experience, I'm sure that is where a lot of my apprehension is coming from with buying another Chevrolet. My Silverado was always having issues with, abs sensors, evap, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc...

So my question is this, is this something that I should stay away from? what are common issues with these suvs? Tell me your experience with your Tahoe please, It's greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
S

snoprosledneck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
15 was 1st model year of the k2’s lotta guys have issues with them. Id stay 17 and above for new body style or backwards to a 14 and under.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I guess I will keep looking. Thank you for your input.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2015 is a new model design with some mid-year changes that's really the only catch if your price range is for something around there like Pete said you might be happier with a 2014, all vehicles will take maintenance that's just the way it is, stuff wears out, if you are set on the new design then I would get as new as you can afford to.

PwrdbyM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The answer is it depends. People always gripe about high mileage cars (20k+ per year) as if they're going to be problems. The reality is these vehicles were mostly used for long commutes which means a single passenger on long highway runs. These vehicles may have very little interior wear. You'd just want to check for windsheild/rocks chips.
On the flip side you have an SUV that does kid duty, so kids in and out all day, food etc... Very short trips to school, which means fluids not up to temp, heavy braking, potholes, parking lot dings, etc.
So one with 100k long commute miles over 3 years or one that did kid duty in the suburbs with 50k? I know which I'd rather have.

OP
OP
S

snoprosledneck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles does she put on per year? For reference how many miles on the 03 Silverado when it started giving trouble?
Per year I would say she is in the 12k mile range. My Silverado started giving me issues around the 100k range.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has always wanted a Tahoe and we found one at our local dealership. The vehicle has had 2 previous owners. The first owner was a low mile lease, around 14K miles, and the second owner just traded it in at 69K. The Tahoe is a 2015 LT by the way. My wife really likes the SUV, I'm just worried about the mileage. I do all of my own work but I also don't want a nickel and dime machine. I do not have any experience with Tahoes and for all, I know they get traded in at 70K because they are costing too much in maintenance. I had a 2003 Silverado that was not a pleasant experience, I'm sure that is where a lot of my apprehension is coming from with buying another Chevrolet. My Silverado was always having issues with, abs sensors, evap, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc...

So my question is this, is this something that I should stay away from? what are common issues with these suvs? Tell me your experience with your Tahoe please, It's greatly appreciated.

Get the CarFax, then you can see where it's been serviced and some or all of what's been done. When I bought my truck, the dealerships emailed me all the invoices of the repairs the previous owner had done to it.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I agree with Pete. Either go to a 14 with under 100k and expect a few minor issues or look to a 17 and use the warranty that's left to correct everything you find quickly.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your in good with your local dealer just go and and ask the service manager to look up the vin for you. They can see EVERYTHING that was done at any dealership. More detailed than carfax. Lots of times carfax lists “vehicle serviced”. So it’s hard to gauge what was done. Just ask if you don’t know anyone there. Worth a shot. IMO I would steer clear of vehicles from the northeast and northern tier. Just because of the salt issue. But if the person has taken care of washing salt off in the winter you should be good. You’ll know when you see it. I have seen 2018 Tahoe’s with 23k miles that have been beat to shit for sale on dealer lots. Dings, dents, repainted, molding all messed, rims curbed rashed, rust everywhere underneath. That tells me the person didn’t give 2 cents about the car. NEXT. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick