How long did youre tahoe go before needing tranny rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly but I was around 80-85k when I had mine rebuilt. I'm the second owner and I got it Jan 06

OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Im wondering if that has anything to do with those big chrome wheels :)..I have 65k on my 01 tahoe and the tranny fluid has never been changed.My question is should I Flush the tranny or should I just drain and refill fluid and change filter?Also it seems at open throttle my tranny wont shift from first to second,anyone have this issue?

Last edited:

donut slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do a fluid and filter change, but no flush. I've heard bad things get stirred up with a flush.

kaej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my just went bad two days ago at 83xxx miles keep reading about a sprag being the problem for the 07-09

stickM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We traded the wife's 2001 Z71 a couple years ago at 181K miles and had experienced zero transmission problems. Only had to change the consumable parts like batteries, alternators, a starter, plus an interior fan speed control. I ran across a deal two weeks ago on an '03 LT 4wd with only 57,300 miles and had to buy it. Glad to be back in a Tahoe.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine went out at 125000 towing a big boat and enclosed trailer a good percentage of its life. tansmission shop said the common failure of these transmissions are the splines in the sun shield. i replaced mine with a crate trans from the dealer which developed a internal problem on its second day and was swapped out with a different crate tranny after a week due to total failure.....

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i bought my 2002 Suburban LT 5.3 4x4 about a year ago with receipt of a rebuild.

Theres about 187000 Miles on it and I'm ordering a new transmission in the next 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
90k and im on tranny 5 or 6 I cant remember anymore, now Im at about 183K, but whatever you do dont go with Jasper Transmissions. I blew 3 or 4 now I have an AER and it can take some abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas